A house on Lemen Road in Waterloo burst into flames Friday morning, sending one man to the hospital and destroying the house.
Crews were called to the home of Ken and Katrina Kloepper at 10:38 a.m., according to retired Waterloo firefighter Barry Hoffmann.
According to a GoFundMe started by a family member, the home exploded when a gas line was ruptured while a worker was in the process of changing the well water line to a city water line.
“Yeah... somehow the gas line was pinched during the process... and the plumber dug it up; evidently found the issue and fixed it... then he was in the process of just lighting the pilots...first the kitchen stove and then in the basement for the water heater...when it exploded!” states the GoFundMe, created by Kate Crowe, who said she is Ken Kloepper’s daughter.
Never miss a local story.
The explosion sent the worker to the hospital with burns to his upper body, according to Fox 2 News. Crowe said she believes her father went to the hospital as well but has been released.
According to the GoFundMe post, the pets did not make it out alive, and the entire house was destroyed.
“Their loved pets, keepsakes, all the pictures, all their clothing, the computers... gone. Dad has the work clothes on his back (singed too I'm sure) that he was working in and his cellphone. They lost EVERYTHING in literally a blink of an eye. Everything will have to be replaced.”
The GoFundMe had raised $785 out of $15,000 as of Saturday afternoon.
Waterloo, Maeystown, Red Bud and Valmeyer fire departments were responding to the fire.
Firefighter officials were not immediately available for comment Saturday.