More than $632,000 in grants will make improvements possible at 23 parks in St. Clair County.
The funding stems from a one-tenth of 1 percent sales tax collected to improve local parks by the Metro East Park and Recreation District. The St. Clair County Parks Grant Commission recommended the park projects to the St. Clair County Board, which approved the projects Tuesday.
The tax has funded 238 projects valued at more than $5.7 million since 2002. The maximum funding amount for this year was $30,000 per project.
The improvements include:
* Alorton -- $30,000 for basketball goals and baseball dugouts.
* Belleville -- $28,671 for Bicentennial Park enhancements.
* Cahokia -- $13,157 for Youth Football League fields.
* Caseyville -- $30,000 for a trail extension and outdoor fitness equipment.
* Centreville -- $25,000 to enhance safety in Centreville Park.
* Dupo -- $28,131 for walking trail exercise equipment and security equipment.
* East St. Louis -- $30,000 for the Jackie Joyner-Kersee Skate Park.
* East St. Louis -- $30,000 for the Lincoln Park Vietnam Veteran's Memorial.
* East St. Louis Park District -- $29,654 for ball field renovation and maintenance equipment.
* Fairview Heights -- $30,000 for a pavilion at Moody Park Playground.
* Fayetteville -- $28,095 for park safety improvements.
* Freeburg Park District -- $30,000 for pavilion improvement and safety project.
* Mascoutah -- $12,469 for playground improvements at Maple Park.
* Millstadt -- $30,000 for handicap accessibility park improvements.
* New Athens -- $22,506 for parking lot and concession stand renovation at Okaw Park.
* O'Fallon -- $30,000 for a pavilion at Savannah Hills Park.
* St. Clair Greenspace -- $30,000 for restoration of Bluff Park Preserve.
* St. Libory -- $30,000 for pavilion improvements at Wenneman Park.
* Sauget -- $28,217 for a safety program at GCS Ballpark.
* Shiloh -- $30,000 for improvements at Sierra Park.
* Smithton -- $30,000 for tennis court rehabilitation.
* Sugar Loaf Township -- $30,000 for the replacement of park walkways.
* Swansea -- $27,000 for the Mel Price Bike Trail.