Metro-East News

July 19, 2014

Washington Park hires Marion as new public safety director

Delbert Marion, a former police chief in East St. Louis, is the new director of public safety in Washington Park.

Also, the Village Board voted Tuesday to give Ray Coleman, the village's governmental affairs officer, additional duties as TIF administrator and a new contract for a $60,000 annual salary.

The board voted 5-0 to hire former Marion, who previously served as the Brooklyn police chief and as an East St. Louis City Councilman.

Board member Ferris Williams was absent.

Mayor Ann Rodgers read aloud a resolution that said Marion can serve until he retires or is removed. One thing that was not contained in the resolution was Marion's salary.

Rodgers said she did not have it available. She later did not return phone calls about Marion's salary.

Police Chief Aubrey Keller will report to Marion and Marion will report to Rodgers, she said.

Marion said he plans to bring the same level of professionalism that he has brought to the other jobs he has held. He said he wants to help make Washington Park as safe as possible.

Keller was given a new contract that will be in effect until the end of Rodgers' term which ends on May 1, 2017. Keller's salary is $56,560 a year. He gets 12 vacation days a year and a village-issued police car as part of his contract.

The board unanimously approved Coleman's contract.

The village's TIF account will pay $48,000 of Coleman's salary and the remaining $12,000 will come from "the village's other non-restricted accounts to pay for the contract with Ray Coleman," the resolution said.

In May, the village entered into an agreement with Coleman as an independent contractor for $4,000. Coleman was to receive $1,000 a month with approximately 80 percent of his time being spent serving as the TIF coordinator. The remaining 20 percent of his time was to be spent working on governmental services.

In other business, the Village Board unanimously voted to approve a $200,000 TIF agreement with East St. Louis City Councilman Robert Eastern for improvements at the service station known as BP Kingshighway at 1205 Kingshighway.

According to the agreement, B&B Gemini LLC will be paid over three years, with the first $50,000 being paid in fiscal year 2015. A second payment is to be made in fiscal year 2016, and a third and fourth payment in the amount of $50,000 in the following two years. According to the TIF agreement, Eastern is proposing to rehab the existing station, which is located in TIF District 1. The money is being provided to Eastern because "the developer's revenue alone are insufficient to ensure the financial feasibility of the project. And it's in the best interest of the citizens to provide additional revenues and financial assistance," the agreement said.

Eastern could not be reached for comment.

The Village Board also approved a resolution for a contract between the village and the Fraternal Order of Police Labor Lodge Council 108. The union has 14 days to approve the resolution.

The agreement calls for the FOP to provide police and dispatch services.

Contact reporter Carolyn P. Smith at 618-239-2503.

Related content

Comments

Editor's Choice Videos