Residents looking for relief from the heat can head to one of several cooling centers beginning to open up in the metro-east.
The National Weather Service has issued a warning to area residents about extremely hot weather that is expected to remain through the weekend. According to the forecast, the heat index in Belleville may be as high as 105 on Thursday.
On Thursday and Friday, a high temperature of 96 is expected under sunny skies while the mercury is expected to hit 97 on Saturday and Sunday. High humidity through the weekend will make the temperature feel like it is well above 100 on each day.
Area residents are warned to be vigilant about signs of heat-related illnesses and to make sure that their air conditioners are in good working order or that they have a place where they can go to cool down.
Because of the high temperatures, cooling shelters are beginning to open across the metro-east.
Glen Carbon leaders have announced that the Glen Carbon Police Department Community Room, located at 149 N. Main will be open as a cooling shelter from 8 a.m. until 8 p.m. Wednesday through Sunday
Another cooling shelter will be available in the Glen Carbon Centennial Library, located at 198 S. Main St.. The hours at 9 a.m.-8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The shelter will be closed Sunday.
Belleville police have announced the following cooling sites in Belleville will be open:
* Belleville Public Library, Main Branch located at 121 E. Washington St., 9 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday through Thursday, and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Friday and Saturday.
* Belleville Public Library, West Branch, 3414 W. Main St., 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday, Wednesday and Saturday, and noon to 8 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday.
* Conqueror's Christian Church, 200 E. Washington St., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day.
* Garden Heights Baptist Church, 1897 Mascoutah Ave., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day.
* Programs & Services for Older Persons (PSOP), 201 N. Church St., 8 a.m. to 4 p.m. Monday through Friday.
* Redeemers House of Worship, 7410 Westchester Dr., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday.
* Trinity United Church of Christ, 47 N. Douglas Ave., 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. each day.