The National Weather Service has extended the excessive heat advisory for a second time.
The warning will now last through 8 p.m. Wednesday. and the daytime temperature will reach 94 with a heat index of 106.
There is a 40 percent chance of scattered thunderstorms Wednesday with the most likely time for rain coming after 2 p.m. The chance of rain will decrease to 20 percent during the evening hours when the low will drop to 72.
A high of 92 is expected Thursday with a 40 percent chance of thunderstorms. The low Thursday night will be 72.
Mostly sunny skies and a high of 91 are expected Friday. A 40 percent chance of thunderstorms and a low of 71 are expected Friday night.
The Illinois Department of Human Services will operate cooling shelters in Madison County at 1925 Madison Ave. in Granite City or at 606 W. St. Louis Ave. in East Alton. It has shelters in East St. Louis in St. Clair County: One at 601 James R. Thompson Blvd. Building E and the other at 225 Ninth St.
According to the United Way, other cooling shelters include:
* The Salvation Army Belleville Corps Community Center, 20 Glory Place.
* Belleville Public Library, 121 E. Washington St.
* Belleville Public Library West Branch, 3414 W. Main St.
* Fairview Heights Public Library, 10017 Bunkum Road.
* Caseyville Township Office of General Assistance, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights.
* O'Fallon Public Library, 120 Civic Plaza.
* Cahokia Public Library, 140 Cahokia Park Drive.
* Centreville Township, 4831 Bond Ave., East St. Louis.
* Callie Boyd Community Center, 701 S. 44th St., East St. Louis.
* East St. Louis Public Library, 5300 State St.
* Clyde Jordan Senior Citizens Center, 6755 State Street, East St. Louis.
* Washington Park City Hall, 5218 North Park Drive.
* Fairmont City Library, 2870 N. 44th St.
* Collinsville Public Library, 408 W. Main St.
* Collinsville Township Senior Citizens Center, 420 E. Main St.
* Salvation Army of Madison County, 3007 E. 23rd St., Granite City.
* Granite City Township Office, 2060A Delmar Avenue.
* The Glen Carbon Police Department Community Room, 198 S. Main St.