A fire pit is being blamed for a blaze that destroyed a Madison County home on Easter Sunday.
Firefighters said they believe an ember from the pit may have blown onto the roof of the two-story house in the Castle Ridge subdivision of Troy, sparking the fire.
The report of the fire came in at just after 3 p.m. Firefighters from Troy, Glen Carbon, Marine, Maryville and O’Fallon didn’t leave the home until after 7:30.
The house was destroyed by the flames. Its roof caved in, leaving only a shell.
Never miss a local story.
No one was injured in the fire.