Crews responded to a small explosion in the area of Kimberley Lake Drive around 9:30 a.m. Tuesday after a homeowner attempted to burn a pile of debris.
The homeowner told crews he poured gasoline on the pile of debris. When he lit the pile on fire, the homeowner said there was a “blow back.” He suffered second-degree burns on his arm. Kimberly Lake Drive is near the intersection of Old Collinsville Road and Frank Scott Parkway East in Swansea.
The man’s neighbor, Adbul Kazi, also heard the explosion and called the fire department.
Never miss a local story.
“I thought a window shattered or something, and when I went to check, my wife and I saw there was a large fire and lots of smoke,” he said.
East Side Assistant Fire Chief Lyn Mueller said while the yard waste fire is legal, he does not recommend people use gasoline to start brush fires.
“You could end up burnt and with the fire department at your house,” Mueller said, gesturing to the trucks and fire around him.
Mueller said the homeowner did not want them to put out the brush fire, so crews hosed down areas around the pile to make sure it didn’t spread.
East Side Fire and Swansea fire departments responded to the explosion.
The homeowner did not wish to comment.