A boy was taken to the hospital Sunday night after fireworks exploded inside his bedroom on Primrose Drive in Fairview Heights.
Dispatchers received a call about the explosion at 7:26 p.m, according to Chief Bryan Doyle. He said the boy was taken to the hospital with burns, but was expected to survive.
The chief said his agency will contact the Illinois Office of the State Fire Marshal Monday, however Doyle did not believe there would be further investigation.
“Basically we were just called there to investigate it and remove smoke,” he said.
Never miss a local story.
Doyle said no one else was injured and there was no damage done to the Primrose Drive house.
Officials have not determined whether the boy intentionally lit the fire works or not.
Doyle did not release additional information about the boy’s identity because he is a minor.