Freezing drizzle with light snow is expected to complicate commutes home Monday night in the metro-east.
The National Weather Service issued a winter weather advisory from 4 p.m. to midnight Monday for the entire St. Louis region, including southwestern Illinois. Commuters were instructed to plan on slippery road conditions, with light snow and ice accumulations expected alongside reduced visibility.
“It only takes a small amount of wintry precipitation to make roads, bridges, sidewalks and parking lots icy and dangerous,” the advisory read.
Another advisory warned that more winter weather was on its way with another storm system bringing in snow, freezing rain and sleet Tuesday, with some potential for snow and ice accumulation, according to the National Weather Service.
Never miss a local story.
Midday Monday temperatures were estimated at about 21 degrees, with a wind chill to minus 6 degrees and an overnight low of 19 degrees. Tuesday’s high was expected to be 30 degrees, with a low around 22 degrees. Later in the week temperatures were predicted to warm up as high as 49 degrees, possibly accompanied by rain.
▪ Belleville District 201 has canceled all athletic practices after 5:30 p.m. Monday. Boys and girls’ varsity basketball was to practice immediately after school, while freshman practices are canceled.
▪ Edwardsville District 7 has canceled all evening activities for Monday, including the freshman-sophomore boys’ basketball game at Edwardsville High vs. Triad.
▪ The Running Start parent meeting scheduled for Monday at Collinsville High School has been rescheduled for 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.
▪ The freshman-sophomore basketball game at Collinsville High vs. Alton has been canceled. The freshman boys’ game will be made up at 7:15 p.m. Thursday in the auxiliary gym. The sophomore boys’ basketball game will not be made up.
▪ Principia College in Elsah is closed Monday night.
▪ Boys and Girls Club of Alton will dismiss at 5:30 p.m. Monday.
▪ Living the Word Church of East St. Louis will be closed Monday night.
▪ Edwardsville American Legion Post 199 has canceled bingo for Monday night.