The Illinois Department of Transportation plans to suspend road work where possible during the Labor Day weekend, the agency said.
In an effort to reduce congestion and improve traffic flow, non-emergency road work is scheduled to be suspended, where possible from 3 p.m. Friday until 12:01 a.m. Tuesday, IDOT said.
Some lane closures around the state are staying in place during the holiday weekend, IDOT said.
A handful of metro-east road closures are planned to stay in place. They are as follows:
Never miss a local story.
▪ Illinois 159 in Collinsville is reduced to one lane in each direction between Johnson Street and Mounds Avenue for pavement reconstruction.
▪ The bridge carrying Illinois 4 over Interstate 55 near Staunton is closed to all traffic as the bridge deck is being replaced. A marked detour is in place.
▪ Illinois 13 under Illinois 15 near Belleville is closed to traffic, and Illinois 15 east of Illinois 159 is reduced to one lane in each direction as a new structure is built.
▪ Rieder Road over Interstate 64 is closed for interchange construction.
▪ Interstate 255 is reduced to two lanes from three in both directions between Illinois 15 and Illinois 157 for bridge repairs.
▪ The Martin Luther King Jr. Bridge is closed for repairs.