A birthday pool party at a metro-east motel took a scary turn over the weekend.
Four children were rushed to a local emergency room Saturday afternoon when they were overcome by carbon monoxide gas while swimming in an indoor pool at the Super 8 motel in Pontoon Beach.
The entire motel, located on Regency Parkway off Illinois 111, was evacuated.
It was discovered that the fumes were coming from the maintenance room in the pool area. Swimming will not be allowed at the motel until the problem can be fixed.
Never miss a local story.
According to firefighters, the motel had carbon monoxide detectors but they were not working at the time of the party.
The children affected by the leak are expected to be all right.