Don’t miss these top stories Thursday on BND.com:
▪ The person who died in an East St. Louis fire on Wednesday has been identified as 56-year-old Kenneth Harris.
Harris’ personal assistants shared their memories of Harris, who was confined to a wheelchair after suffering a stroke.
▪ A Mount Vernon math teacher solicited a child through the anonymous app Whisper, according to police.
Never miss a local story.
Kevin W. Battas, 25, has been charged with indecent solicitation of a child and grooming. Battas was released Thursday after posting bail.
▪ The metro-east will be well represented in the St. Louis Mardi Gras parade.
Groups from Belleville and Cahokia will enter three floats in the festival which is ofter billed as the second-largest Mardi Gras celebration in the United States. Only the one in New Orleans is bigger.
▪ What happened to former KSDK meteorologist Bree Smith?
The News-Democrat’s Answer Man, Roger Schlueter gets to the bottom of that mystery and others.
▪ How can you safeguard yourself against an accidental burn?