A proposed move to the designed "Walk of Fame" in downtown Belleville was tabled Tuesday night after organizers and city leaders realized who would pay for the project had never been decided.
The City Council discussed the Walk of Fame, which was planned and had previously been approved by the City Council to place six plaques in the northeast quadrant of Public Square. Organizers had asked to move it to the northwest quadrant.
But during the meeting, City Engineer Tim Gregowicz said that tearing up and placing new concrete would cost about $9,500 from Hank's Excavating and Landscaping Inc.
Larry Betz, president of the Belleville Historical Society, seemed surprised by the estimated price. He said he never expected the city to pay that much and asked if donations could be made for the project.
The issue was tabled for the next meeting.
"I'm all for the project," said Mayor Mark Eckert, who suggested Gregowicz and Betz meet prior to the next meeting to discuss funding the project.
The Walk of Fame will honor those who made significant contributions to the city of Belleville. The inaugural inductees will be George Blair, Ninian Edwards, Lyman Trumbull, Christian "Buddy" Ebsen and Bob Goalby.
Betz had said the northwest quadrant would give better exposure to the plaques at major city events and allow room for expanding the walk.
Also at the meeting:
* By a vote of 14-1, the council approved a two part change order for repairs needed at 17 S. High St. The property was damaged after the city bought a building at 18 S. High St. last year and demolished it to create parking spaces. The council approved a $12,478 to Calhoun Construction for structural work to repair a crack and $2,183.50 for two coats of paint and tuck pointing brick work. Ward 7 Alderman Trent Galetti voted against the change order; Ward 2 Alderwoman Melinda Hult was absent.
* Police Chief Bill Clay spoke during public comments in regards to the Aug. 25 special City Council meeting when councilmen questioned why no letters of resignation were provided for three police officers who resigned and no background information was provided for three new hires. Clay said since 2008 there has been no precedent set that such information would be provided to the City Council. He said it was "ridiculous" that he felt accused of withholding information. "I'm just amazed that all of a sudden this became something," he said.
Contact reporter Maria Hasenstab at email@example.com or 618-239-2460.