Highland News Leader
J & H Machine Co. was formed in 1946 by partners Otto Jakel and Leonard Heim. Their building was owned by Alfred Voegele and was in the alley just behind Ziegler Jewelry Store, at 1008 Laurel, and Voegele Studio, at 1010 Laurel. (Later, this building became the Victor Seifried Baby Shoe factory.) In 1951, J & H Machine Co. was dissolved, and two separate businesses formed. Otto Jakel started Jakel Manufacturing Co. at 400 Broadway, and Leonard Heim started Helvetia Tool Co. at Mulberry and 13th streets. Both were very successful businesses.