Several Highland area churches are participating in the Summer LUNCH Bunch program to give area children a free lunch while school is out.
The program, an acronym for Loving United Neighbors Crushing Hunger, will provide a sack lunch that includes a meat-and-cheese sandwich, chips, juice, fresh fruit/veggie and a treat each weekday, June 5 through Aug. 11, at no cost for children 18 years old an younger. It is a free lunch program, no registration needed. All you have to do is show up at designated stops and the right time. (Note: Only receive lunches from vehicles with the LUNCH Bunch logo on them.)
There will be no delivery in heavy rains or severe weather, and there will not be delivery July 4.
Highland churches involved are EvUCC, Mosaic, Highland Hope, St. Paul, First Congregational, and Highland Community Church, as well as churches in neighboring communities, and several local business and organizations are contributing to help make the endeavor a success.
Never miss a local story.
For questions about Highland area delivery, call Missy at 618-530-8410.
Highland area stops
▪ John Wildi Masonic Temple, 721 9th St., 11:30-11:40 a.m.
▪ Korte Recreation Center, 1 Nagel Drive, (at bridge near labyrinth), 11:30-11:40 a.m.
▪ Tot Lot Park, corner of Zschokke and 13th streets, 11:40-11:50 a.m.
▪ Suppiger Lane and Suppiger Way, 11:40-11:50 a.m.
▪ El Kay Court, 11:50-11:55 a.m.
▪ Hoffman Park, 2nd and Washington streets, 11:50 a.m.-noon
▪ Swallow Lane and Broadway, noon-12:05 p.m.
▪ Weinheimer Community Building (except second Wednesday of the month), 1100 Main St., 12:10-12:20 p.m.
▪ Paradise Drive/entrance to Bali Acres, 12:10-12:15 p.m.
▪ Merwin Park, 28th and Daffodil streets, 12:20-12:30 p.m.
▪ Highland Community Pool, corner of Spruce and Park streets, 12:20-12:30 p.m.
▪ Grantfork United Church of Christ, 11:30-11:45 a.m.
▪ Country View Park bus stop, 11:45 a.m.-noon
▪ Alhambra Township Park, noon-12:15 p.m.
▪ New Douglas Township Park Pavilion, 12:15-12:30 p.m.
▪ Corner of Jacob and W. 4th streets, right next to the St. Jacob Elementary School parking lot, 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. (Note: The St. Jacob Program is not part of the Highland area distribution. For questions about the St. Jacob lunch, call St. Jacob United Methodist Church at 644-4330 or email Clint@troyumc.org.