If you’ve always wanted to experiment with artistic expression or learn to unblock your flow of creativity, “Art of Soul” is just what you need.
The Highland Arts Council will present its fourth Art of Soul, a workshop of artistic fun for ages high school to 104, starting next month. Whether you are an artist, enjoy playing with artistic supplies or are simply an art enthusiast, Art of Soul has something for you.
Participants will meet Thursdays beginning Feb. 15 through March 15 from 7 to 9 p.m. in the Social Hall of Evangelical United Church of Christ, 2520 Poplar St. Highland. Each workshop will offer instruction in a specific artistic medium. All materials will be provided for each class. You will go home with at least one project from each workshop. You’ll discover how to capture creative ideas step by step and build on those experiences.
▪ Session I: On Thursday, Feb. 15, Lynnette Schuepbach will show how to twist and turn simple wire into sculptures, representing nature and human figures. Schuepbach is an artist and president of Highland Arts Council.
▪ Session II: Christi Dea, a fabric and fiber artist living in Highland, will help you create animal shapes using needle felting on on Thursday, Feb. 22.
▪ Session III: Paint with acrylics with Christy MacMorran on Thursday, March 1. MacMorran was an award-winning artist at Art in the Park in 2017 and teaches classes in various mediums.
▪ Session IV: On Thursday, March 8, Peg Bellm, a professional artist, will help you create jewelry with polymer clay in the colors of your choice. Bellm creates one-of-a-kind items using polymer clay and is an award-winning artist at Art in the Park.
▪ Session V: Paulette Todd, artist and teacher, will teach you how to use calligraphy in an art project on Thursday, March 15. Todd regularly teaches classes in her business, Kids Art Club.
The cost of the entire expansive five-week experience is $25 for Highland Arts Council members and $30 for non-members. All materials are included in this cost. Register online at highlandartscouncil.org/art-of-soul or call 618-558-0054.