Editor’s note: The following incidents were listed among the official reports of local law enforcement agencies and court clerks. Readers are reminded that an arrest or charge does not constitute a finding of guilt. Only a court of law can make that determination.
Construction worker killed in accident at SIUE
A 47-year-old O’Fallon man was killed Thursday during a work-related accident at Southern Illinois University Edwardsville.
Madison County Coroner Stephen Nonn identified the deceased as Roger R. Kolweier.
Kolweier was working for Keller Construction at the time of the accident. He and a co-worker were on Stadium Road off New Poag Road in Edwardsville, working on a frontage road on the SIUE campus.
He had been driving a heavy piece of machinery with a roller attached. Authorities said it appears that a portion of the road gave out, causing the machine to flip. Kolweier attempted to jump from the machine but became pinned underneath it at the bottom of a creek, according to the coroner’s office.
An off-duty Illinois State Trooper and his wife, a nurse, were flagged down by the co-worker to help. They performed life-saving efforts on him until Edwardsville Fire and EMS personnel arrived, but were unable to save him.
Kolweier was pronounced dead at 4:45 p.m. Friday by Madison County Coroner’s Investigator Diondra Horner.
The death is under investigation by the SIUE Police Department. Representatives from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration will also be investigating the accident.
Nonn said Kolweier died of blunt chest and abdominal trauma. Routine toxicological testing will be performed.
Man charged with felony retail theft
Highland police charged Joshua J. Nelson, 22, of Granite City with felony retail theft on May 26. Police allege Nelson took meat, ibuprofen, chicken, Doritos and other merchandise totaling $468.95 from Walmart. Nelson had been taken into custody the day before on a warrant from Granite City police. He was taken to jail and was denied bond.
HPD misdemeanors, citations
▪ Guy A. Ceppenati, 19, of Highland was charged with driving while having a suspended/revoked license.
▪ Shawn M. Wisnasky, 22, of Greenville was charged with possession of cannabis and possession of drug equipment.
▪ A juvenile, 16, of Caseyville was charged with curfew violation.
▪ Dillyn G. Riechmann, 24, of Highland was charged with criminal tresspass to state-supported land for allegedly failing to leave the Highland Police Department after being told to do so by the chief of police.
▪ Brandon W. Pearman, 23, of Greenville was charged with driving while having a suspended/revoked license.
▪ Jeffrey A. French, 19, of Sorento was charged with retail theft for allegedly taking one USB charger and one sunglasses strap, with a combined value of $12.92, from Walmart.
▪ David L. Harrison, 43, of Highland was charged with operation of an uninsured motor vehicle.
▪ Joshua C. Hinkle, 20, of Highland was charged with possession of cannabis and possession of drug equipment.
▪ Marci U. Meyer, 33, of Highland was charged with driving while having a suspended/revoked license.
▪ A juvenile, 16, of Highland was charged with operation of an uninsured motor vehicle.
▪ A juvenile, 17, of Edwardsville was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, possession of cannabis, possession of drug equipment, not having a license plate, and muffler violations.
▪ Matthew K. Fox, 37, of Highland was charged with criminal trespass to land for allegedly being at the Circle K after having received written notice from the store manger in January that he was not allowed on the property.
▪ Sarah L. Ferguson, 41, of Highland was charged with driving while having a suspended/revoked license, operation of an uninsured motor vehicle and operation of a vehicle with a suspended/revoked registration.
▪ Michael D. Gress, 26, of Highland was charged with retail theft for allegedly taking seven Monster energy drinks from Walmart.
▪ No tickets issued.
▪ Chasity M. Bohnenstiehl, 37, of Edwardsville was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, illegal transportation of alcohol and improper lane usage. In the same incident, Chad W. Bohnenstiehl, 37, of Edwardsville was charged with illegal transportation of alcohol.
▪ Brandon S. Peterson, 28, of St. Jacob was charged with retail theft for allegedly taking one Monster engery drink from Walmart.