HSHS St. Joseph’s Hospital (Highland) is introducing a new format for its Cancer Support Group. Instead of meeting on a monthly basis, the hospital’s Cancer Support Group now meets weekly in a seven-week format for participants. Each week, a new topic of emphasis will be highlighted by a guest facilitator.
“After conducting a review of the Cancer Support Group’s previous format, it became apparent that a more focused program and series of coordinated meetings would be more beneficial for participants,” said Jeannie Korte, manager of spiritual care at St. Joseph’s Hospital.
This installment of the Cancer Support Group program begins on Thursday, Sept. 10 and runs through Thursday, Oct. 22. The group will meet from 6:30 to 8 p.m. each week. The preliminary seven-week program schedule is as follows:
▪ Week One (Sept. 10): INTRODUCTION, a review of program agenda
▪ Week Two (Sept. 17): AMERICAN CANCER SOCIETY RESOURCES, Scheduled Speaker: ACS Representative Nora Evans
▪ Week Three (Sept. 24): NUTRITIONAL SUPPORT AND ALTERNATIVE CARE, Scheduled Speaker: St. Joseph’s Hospital registered dietitian Cindy Hartmann
▪ Week Four (Oct. 1): HSHS CANCER CARE SERVICES
▪ Week Five (Oct. 8): FINANCIAL STRATEGIES & RESOURCES AVAILABLE
▪ Week Six (Oct. 15): SPIRITUAL AND RELIGIOUS CARE
▪ Week Seven (Oct. 22): STRESS MANAGEMENT & SPIRITUAL CARE; and PUTTING ALL THE PIECES TOGETHER – HAVING A PLAN
Sponsored by the Pastoral Care Department at the new St. Joseph’s Hospital in Highland, the Cancer Support Group offers support and encouragement to anyone with any form of cancer and provides an opportunity for patients, families and friends to learn about diagnosis management resources and coping strategies to address physical, emotional and spiritual health.
There is no fee for participation in this seven-week support group, however, registration is required. Please call the St. Joseph’s Hospital Pastoral Care Department at (618) 651-2980 or email email@example.com to sign-up.