Notes from Aug. 13 the Village Board meeting
▪ The board met with a potential attorney, the Evans Blazi Law Firm of Granite City. No decision on an attorney has been made.
▪ Recent issues with trash upkeep and lawn maintenance for certain properties in the village have been addressed rectified.
▪ It was brought the the board's attention from a village citizen attending the meeting that the construction debris left outside of the former Mossie’s restaurant has become problematic. The use of a Dumpster will be suggested to the new owner.
Never miss a local story.
▪ The issue of rental contracts will be addressed at next month’s meeting.
▪ The demolition of certain condemned properties has been approved and will commence once the board finishes submitting photos and other documentations to the appropriate authorities. Salvaged materials from those buildings will be stored in the Old Firehouse until sold. Money from those items will be used to recoup some of the costs of upkeep already spent on those properties via the village.
▪ Mosquito pellets are available through the village. Residents can contact a board member for instructions on how to request the pellets.
▪ The Rec Plex is now an official Fire District posting place.
▪ It was suggested that the board consider lifting the conceal and carry ban for the village.
▪ The fence belonging to 204 South Main that runs between the property and the Rec Plex has been repaired by the homeowner.
▪ A citizen of New Douglas brought to the board’s attention that there is an issue of clutter behind his property adjacent to the Township Park shed area. It will be brought to the township’s attention.
▪ A citizen of New Douglas raised the issue of the village’s leash law not being upheld and that there have been dogs loose or dogs being walked without the use of a leash.
Sign up now for the Car and Motorcycle Show/Craft Fair & Chili Cook-off
New Douglas’ annual Car and Motorcycle Show/Craft Fair & Chili Cook-off to be held Saturday, Sept. 12 at New Douglas Township Park.
Car and Motorcycle Show registration will be from 9 a.m. to noon. Judging from noon to 3 p.m. Awards will be handed out at 4 p.m.
Chili registration will be from 9 a.m. to noon. Chili judging begins at noon.
Funds raised will support the restoration of the Old New Douglas Firehouse.
There will also be kids games and contests, 50-50 drawing, bounce house, and refreshment stand. Krispy Kreme donuts for sale at 7 a.m.
There will also be a gun raffle. Tickets are $10 each or three for $25. The gun to be raffled is a Henry Silver Eagle .17HMR rifle. It is No. 784 out of first thousand, retail price is $879. This will be given away on Sept. 12 at the Car Show. You may also see this gun at Sportsman Choice at 311 W. St. John St in Litchfield. They also have a shooting range there.
For more information on the Car and Motorcycle Show/Craft Fair & Chili Cook-off, contact Barb Basset at (618) 593-3510.
NDVFD plans fall breakfast fundraiser
On Sunday, Nov. 8, the New Douglas Volunteer Fire Department will have a breakfast fundraiser from 7 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the fire house, 105 E. Allen St. in New Douglas. Call (217) 456-6221 for more information.
The Senior Citizens Club is looking for new members. Ages 55 and up. Visiting seniors are asked to stop by on Sept. 8 at 11:30 a.m. for a free lunch and bingo at the Community Center. Please consider joining.
The next monthly meeting of the New Douglas Village Board will have a committee meeting Sept. 7 at 7 p.m., open to the public.
The New Douglas Township Board will next meet at 7:30 p.m. on Sept. 10.
New Douglas Baptist Church’s monthly business meeting will be Wednesday, Sept. 9 at 7 p.m., with worship practice every Wednesday from 5:30 to 7 p.m.
The New Douglas Fire Department meets every Monday (except the third Monday) every month. The department is actively looking for new members. Minimum age requirement to join the department is 18. Contact Chief Danny Robertson at (217) 456-6221 for more information.
The American Legion meets every second Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.
The Masonic Lodge meets every third Wednesday at 7 p..
The New Douglas Community Center Hall can be rented for events. Contact Linda Huntsinger (618) 402-1726 to reserve a time.
Contact New Douglas reporter Rachel Beckett at (618) 971-6687 or email email@example.com.