Alumni, classmates, and guests from the classes of 1937 to 1962 of the former St. Jacob High School held its fifth all-school reunion on Saturday, Aug. 29 at the Highland VFW Hall.
Alumni traveled from New Mexico, Maryland, Florida, Iowa, Arkansas, Indiana, and Alabama to visit with classmates and friends. Master of ceremonies Richard Schmidt welcomed the group and shared memories and notes from some who were unable to attend. A buffet meal was served, and everyone enjoyed the camaraderie of friendships made years ago.
In 1955, the Triad School District was formed, which included Marine, St. Jacob and Troy. When the new Triad High School was completed in 1959, the St. Jacob High School closed, and the building became part of the St. Jacob Grade School.
Betty Blumberg spearheaded a committee in 1994 to organize the first all-school class reunion. In 1995, the first reunion was held. Since that time, the committee has continued to fulfill its commitment to hold an all-school reunion every five years.
Never miss a local story.
This year’s chair, Thelma Vernatti, thanked the committee and announced that she and Blumberg were retiring. She stated that while it has been a pleasure to chair the reunion, it was time to pass the torch to someone else. She hopes that the tradition of holding future reunions will continue.