A new optometrist has joined Dr. John Kleinhoffer at his Family Eyecare practice in Highland.
Dr. Mindy Miller, a Highland native, joined the practice this month.
“I am ecstatic to be practicing back in my home town,” said Miller, who lives in Highland with her husband, Matt, and their three dogs. “I truly love being able to better the lives and vision of the people around me. In a small community, it is great to have professionals come back to the area.”
Dr. Miller, the daughter of Jim and Pat Hoffmann also from Highland, is a 2005 HHS graduate. Her husband, the son of Janet and Rodney Miller, is also from Highland.
Never miss a local story.
Dr. Miller said her own bout with ocular disease is what made her get into the eye care profession. When she was an undergrad, she contracted pre-septal cellulitis, a bacterial eye infection much like pink eye.
“But if left untreated, it can get behind the orbital septum and get to brain, causing a true medical emergency,” Dr. Miller said. “I ended up at the Anheuser Busch Eye Institute. It was at that point that I switched my career goal to an optometrist, realizing that there was much more to the profession than just glasses.”
Dr. Klienhoffer, who has been practicing 22 years, said he is glad to have Miller on board.
“She has been working with us since she was in (optometry) school, with the idea when she gets out of school we can bring her in here,” he said. ‘Now, that she is out of school she has decided to join us. Mindy has a good understanding of what we can do here. It’s really great to have her on staff.”
Family Eyecare, located at 1312 Mercantile Drive in Woodcrest Plaza, is a full-service optometry clinic offering comprehensive eye and vision exams, lens prescriptions, frames and contact fittings and emergency eyecare. For an appointment, phone 654-9999.
More about Dr. Mindy Miller
▪ 2005 graduate of Highland High school
▪ 2008 graduate of Murray State University, B.A. in biology with an emphasis in pre-med and a minor in chemistry
▪ 2013 graduate of University of Missouri College of Optometry
▪ Member of Beta Sigma Kappa, an optometric honors society
▪ Member of American Optometric Association and Illinois Optometric Association
▪ Clinical experience at St. Louis Children’s Hospital and Veterans Association hospitals in St. Louis
▪ Clinical interest in comprehensive eye care, pediatrics and dry eye