Home Rule meeting
The village of Shiloh is holding a public meeting at 6 p.m. Thursday, April 2, at the Senior Center, 6 Park Drive, Shiloh, for residents interested in hearing about Home Rule.
Congressman Mike Bost, (R- District 12), will speak about his experiences thus far in the House of Representatives at the Friday, April 3, meeting of the Metro East Pachyderm Club. The meeting begins at noon at Amore Ristorante, 1050 Eastgate Drive, O’Fallon, and is free and open to the public. Optional meet-and-greet and ordering from the menu or buffet starts at 11:30 a.m. Mike Bost is well known in Southern Illinois as the Illinois State Representative for District 115. Amore Ristorante is accessed off Highway 50; the restaurant phone number is 624-2033. For more information, contact Laura at 978-2018 or visit website at metroeastpachy.org.
Looking Glass Prairie Chapter meeting
Looking Glass Prairie Chapter meeting will be at 7 p.m. Thursday, April 2, at Cambridge House, 844 Cambridge Blvd., O’Fallon. The program is “Vietnam Anniversary.” Included—all members, prospective members and persons interested in finding their Revolutionary War Ancestor. The Chapter will have some Vietnam Veterans present to tell their stories. For more info contact Marion Rose at (618) 401-1510
Free Monday night community meals
Free community meals will be served restaurant-style from 5-6 p.m. each Monday night in April in the Fellowship Hall at Faith Lutheran Church, 520 E. Hwy. 50, O’Fallon. Everyone is welcome.
Get out and vote
O’Fallon Citizens for Action is offering transportation for anyone needing a ride to their precinct polling place on Tuesday, April 7. To schedule a pick-up time, call (618) 223-9533 or 628-1104. Just be sure to get out and vote.
O’Fallon/Shiloh People in Business Networking meeting will be at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, April 7, at Holiday Inn Express in Shiloh, 3396 Green Mount Crossing Drive. The meeting will include a presentation by Pilar L. Davis, who will focus on the four primary social media forums that can benefit businesses—Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn—and which types of companies need which mediums. Davis is the owner of Pilar L. Davis Media, a marketing firm specializing in web design, social media and graphic design. For details visit http://PeopleInBusiness.ning.com
Garden Club event
The O’Fallon Garden Club invites people to attend “Plants that I Love (and think I will love) and Why,” set for 6 p.m. Tuesday, April 7, at Rock Springs Park, 1428 E. 3rd St., O’Fallon. The event will feature Sandy Richter, owner of Sandy’s Back Porch, who will share her list of best plants for this area. This event is open to the public to attend at no cost. Refreshments served. For more info, visit www.ofallongardenclub.com.
The next meeting of the National Active and Retired Federal Employees (NARFE) Chapter 1019 will be Wednesday, April 8, in the meeting room at the Golden Corral, 3360 Green Mount Crossing Rd., Shiloh. Buffet opens at 11 a.m. and the meeting begins at noon. Guests are always welcome. Guest speaker will be Mr. Kent Strang, Grassroots and Programs Director, Americans for Prosperity Foundation. The topic he will speak on is “The Power of Economic Freedom.” The NARFE Service Center is located in Bldg 50, 201 E. Winters St., Scott Air Force Base, and is open from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Tuesdays. Members are available to assist with pertinent paperwork and to accept memberships. For more info call (618) 256-9350. Feel free to leave a message.
Chamber business luncheon
The O’Fallon-Shiloh Chamber of Commerce and the O’Fallon Progress will co-host the Salute to Business Awards honoring businesses that have made a particularly positive impact in the community at a luncheon Thursday, April 9, at the Regency Conference Center, 400 Regency Park Drive, O’Fallon. Registration starts at 11:15 a.m. and the program begins at 11:45 a.m. This is the Chamber’s 39th annual awards luncheon. For more info contact the Chamber of Commerce at 632-3377 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Cambridge House events
Cambridge House, 844 Cambridge Blvd., O’Fallon, will host the following upcoming events:
• 2:30 p.m. Friday, April 10. “Gospel Machine” will come in to sing and entertain with gospel music. This is a great time to come and really enjoy some gospel music from talented musicians. Refreshments will be served.
• 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 14. Marilyn Cron, RN (and diabetes educator) from Memorial Hospital will speak about diabetes awareness and management. It’s never too late or too early to learn about diabetes and how to manage it, as well as the importance of the signs. Bingo will take place after the presentation. Refreshments will be served.
• 2-4 p.m. Wednesday, April 22. Pop in (bring family and friends) and enjoy appetizers, music (performed by the talented Anita Rosamond) and ask to see one of the residents’ apartments and the rest of the Cambridge House community. The residents have opened their homes for people to see how fantastic retirement can be for people.
For more information on any of these events, call 624-9900.
Panther Band Boosters trivia night
The O’Fallon Panther Band Boosters will host a “Generic” trivia night Friday, April 10, at the Knights of Columbus Hall in O’Fallon. Doors open at 6 p.m.; game play at 6:30 p.m. Mulligans, 50/50 raffle, lottery board raffle, heads and tails; cash prizes for 1st and 2nd places; prize for best theme-related table decorations. Cost: $15/person (aged 18 and over); tables of 8. Bring own snacks; cash bar available for beverages. Space is limited—reservations are strongly recommended. To make a reservation contact Mike Bradfield at email@example.com or call 628-0525. Walk-ins are welcome if space is available and will be placed at tables with openings. All proceeds benefit the O’Fallon Township High School Band Program.
Troop 40 fundraisers
The following are upcoming fundraiser for Shiloh Boy Scout Troop 40:
• 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, April 11, at Shiloh Community Park (behind Klucker Hall). This is the Troop’s and the village of Shiloh’s Electronics Recycling Event (annual free recycling of home electronics items) will be from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, April 11, at Shiloh Community Park, 14 Park Drive (behind Klucker Hall). Items to recycle: Batteries—Rechargable (NiCad, NiMh, Li), car batteries, Alkaline batteries (AA, AAA), etc.; Computers and related items—Towers, laptops, printers, keyboards, mice, modems, floppy drives, RAM, power supplies, etc.; Electronics and appliances—Small appliances, refrigerators, freezers, washers, dryers, dishwashers, stereo components, etc. For more info call (618) 407-4191 or visit wecycle-belleville.com.
• 5-9 p.m. Monday, April 20, at Ravanelli’s, 1214 Central Park Drive, O’Fallon. This is a fundraiser and gift basket raffle night and 10 percent of all sales go to Troop 40;
• 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, May 6, at Pizza World, 651 Carlyle Ave. Belleville. This is a fundraiser night and 10 percent of all sales will go to Troop 40.
• 9 a.m. Saturday, May 30, Troop 40 Superhero 5K and Mile Fun Run at Klucker Hall in Shiloh. On Facebook: Troop 40 Superhero Run. Online registration at: https://runsignup.com/Race/IL/Shiloh/Troop 40 ShilohSuperhero5K. $25 entry supports local scouts.
Fiddle contest and bluegrass show
George Portz of Shiloh will host his 36th annual Fiddle Contest and Bluegrass Show on Saturday, April 11, at Knights of Columbus Hall in O’Fallon, 402 East Hwy. 50, across from O’Fallon City Park. The Thunder & Lightning Cloggers and Harmonica Champion Matt McElroy open the show at 5 p.m. The fiddlers contest begins at 6 p.m. This contest is becoming known as the “contest of champions,” as 17 past champions and place winners have gone on to perform on WSM’s Grand Ole Opry. Grammy Award Winner Alison Krauss won the 1982 contest. A full bluegrass and country music show featuring the Friends of Bluegrass begins at 8:30 p.m. followed by the contest awards at 9:30 p.m. For more info call 632-1384.
Xi Chi auction
Xi Chi Chapter #5456 of ESA International will hold a Chicken Dinner/Quarters Auction on Saturday, April 11, at O’Fallon VFW Post 805, 221 W. 1st St., to benefit the IFSA (Illinois Fire Safety Alliance) Burn Camp. For more info contact Fran Harris-Shaffer at (618) 593-3488.
M.U.S.I.C. Dance Club event
M.U.S.I.C. Dance Club invites its O’Fallon members and the public to their set for 50’s Sock Hop, Sunday April 12, at the Collinsville VFW, 1234 Vandalia (Hwy 159). No partner needed. All ages and levels of dance experience welcome. Bring new socks to be given to local veterans. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Lessons for Swing I, II, III and a bonus lesson line dance Quattro Quattro from 6-7 p.m. Open dancing from 7-10 p.m. First visit is free, except for special events. 50/50 drawing. VFW sponsors and benefits from the kitchen and cash bar. Dinner special cheeseburger basket. More info at https://www.facebook.com/MUSICSwingDance or http://musicswingdance.com/.
Quilt Guild meeting
The Hearts ‘n’ Hands Quilt Guild meeting is at 6:30 p.m. Tuesday, April 14, at the First United Methodist Church, 504 Hwy 50, O’Fallon. The speaker is Kathy Gaul of Meetinghouse Hill Designs. For more info, contact Katie McMullen at 622-3949.
Senior committee dinner, entertainment
O’Fallon Township Senior Committee’s dinner and entertainment event will take place at 5:30 p.m. Thursday, April 16, at the Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. Cost is $2. This is for O’Fallon Township residents only. Tickets are available at the township office. Last day to purchase tickets is Friday, April 10.
Quarter Auction Party
St. Clare Church in O’Fallon will host a Quarter Auction Party and Shopping Fair on Friday, April 17, at the church, 1411 Cross St., as a fundraiser for the church’s Youth Group. The evening begins with the shopping fair, featuring 17 home party vendors and businesses, at 6 p.m. The Quarter Auction begins at 7:30 p.m. A quarter auction is a combination of a raffle, an auction and a home party. Each “bid” costs 1 to 4 quarters. Raffles, attendance prizes and games will be featured. Participants may bring their own quarters and snacks for their table. Admission is $5 per person at the door and then pay per bid. Or, for a chance to win every prize, participants may purchase an all-in paddle for $25 per person. To reserve a table of 10, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 632-3562 by Thursday, April 9.
Men’s event at Enjoy Church
Enjoy Church is hosting its first ever men’s event at its new facility in O’Fallon. Forged: Men of Iron is hosting Brotherhood, a Forged men’s event, at 10 a.m. Saturday, April 18, at the Enjoy Church O’Fallon Campus, 251 Regency Park, O’Fallon. Tickets are available for $15. This event will instruct men on how to build strong bonds with other men, creating a brotherhood of people who are there to support, encourage and help each other out in times of need. All men are invited to join the Brotherhood and become part of an elite group of men who look out for one anothers best interests. Breakfast is provided, and the event’s festivities will include a time of teaching, team-based laser tag and an appearance by Christian motorcycle club The Bond-Slaves. Tickets are available at www.enjoychurch.tv/forged.
Bible study registration
Bible Study Fellowship will begin a new study of Revelation at 9:10 a.m. Wednesday, Sept. 16, at First Baptist Church of O’Fallon, 1111 E. U.S. 50. This is the first time the Revelation study will be offered. Included are classes for women and children, age infant through kindergarten. Registration for new class members and previous members may be done in advance at 9:10 a.m. Wednesday, April 22, at the church or in the fall on the first day of the study (Sept. 16). If registering a child, plan to make other arrangements for childcare the day of registration or call ahead to discuss childcare. Bible Study Fellowship is an interdenominational study of the Bible offered free of charge. For more info call (618) 830-5700 or visit bsfinternational.or.
Your Home Team will host its free spring shredding event from 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, April 25, at its offices, 813 W. Hwy. 50, O’Fallon. This event is free to the community. Your Home Team only asks two things: Paper products only and two can goods for the local food pantry.
Moose golf classic
Moose Lodge 2608’s 9th annual Golf Classic will take place Saturday, April 25, at Tamarack Golf Course, 800 Tamarack Lane, Shiloh. Registration is at noon. Shotgun start at 1 p.m. $75 per person; $300 per team. Food catered by O’Fallon Moose BBQ Team. For more info contact Andrea Picchietti at (618) 531-4548 or Jeff Jerashen at (618) 401-5088.
CrossFit fundraiser for Mighty Marek
CrossFit Voyage will hold a fundraiser for a case of infantile spasms at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 16, at CrossFit Voyage, 102R W. State St., O’Fallon, Ill.—location is subject to change due to registration numbers. People can register at https//:mightymarek.eventbrite.com. The event is for Marek Harres, affectionately known as Mighty Marek, who was diagnosed with infantile spasms in January 2015. Infantile spasms are seizures seen in infancy and childhood characterized by spasms and developmental regression. Mighty Marek stopped meeting normal developmental milestones at 4 months old and stopped progressing developmentally at approximately 5 months. Registration by Thursday, April 30, will guarantee a “Mighty Marek” shirt in the requested size.
OVFD golf classic
The O’Fallon Volunteer Fire Department 16th annual Spring Golf Classic will be Friday, June 5, at Tamarack Country Club. This tournament serves as the department’s primary fundraising activity that supports the O’Fallon community. For more info contact Fred Schmitt at (618) 698-7285.
• Come play in the dirt with the O’Fallon Garden Club at its weekly community garden work days at the O’Fallon Community Garden at the corner of State and Smiley Streets. If spring garden cleaning, preparing to plant, weeding, mowing, composting and fertilizing are things people love to do, come to the garden and lend a hand throughout March. Remember to wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Tools are provided, but volunteers are encouraged to bring their own work gloves. Gardening is an excellent exercise alternative and the efforts will benefit the community by supplying fresh vegetables to the food pantry. All ages are welcome. For more information check out www.ofallongardenclub.com or O’Fallon IL Garden Club on Facebook.
• The club offers free educational tours of the O’Fallon Community Garden for anyone interested in gardening. Civic and community organizations are welcome.
• Garden work days are from 8 a.m.-noon every Monday and Thursday, weather permitting. If you can help with garden clean-up, planting, harvesting, weeding, mowing, composting and fertilizing, join us in the garden. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes and bring gloves and water. Tools provided. For more info, visit www.ofallongardenclub.org or facebook at O’Fallon IL Garden Club.
• The O’Fallon Garden Club announces the launch of its website, www.ofallongardenclub.com. This community group in O’Fallon is spreading the love of gardening. For the latest dirt on programs and special events and to see good being done in locally, go to this website.
• The O’Fallon Knights of Columbus and Ladies Auxiliary sponsor a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. every Friday at the K of C Hall, 402 E. Highway 50. Orders may be called in at 632-6229. Lunch also is available from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Fridays.
• O’Fallon VFW Post 805, 221 W. First Street, and its Ladies Auxiliary sponsor a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. every Friday. Dine-in or call 624-2651 for carry-out.
• American Legion Post 137, 109 N. Penn St., O’Fallon, hosts a fish fry from 4:30-8 p.m. every Friday. For take out orders, call 632-8878. Plenty of parking.
• Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E Highway 50, will host a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. every Friday during Lent.
O’Fallon Moose Lodge 2608 hosts/sponsors a barbecue from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. the third Saturday of every month at American Legion Post 137, 109 N. Penn St., O’Fallon. Dine-in or carry-out. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Early Childhood Development Foundation. For more info call 632-8879.
All Pro Dad program
The All Pro Dad program meets at 8 a.m. the last Saturday of each month at Cornerstone Christian Church, 775 N. Green Mount Road, Shiloh. The meetings are open to all and a $5 Chick-Fil-A breakfast will be served. People should RSVP to www.allprodad.com/4368 so enough food can be provided. DJ Ficken (APD leader at Moye School) and Tom Vorce (APD leader at Laverna Evans School) will lead the chapter.
The O’Fallon Rotary Van is available from 8:15 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to transport any resident to where they need to go within city and township limits. For information, call 632-3517.
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) meets at 6:30 p.m. every Monday at the first United Methodist Church, 504 E. Hwy. 50. TOPS is a nonprofit, low-cost program open to men, women and children ages 7 through 18. For more information, call Kathy at 624-8031.
Stop 158 meets at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month at 866 Old Enterprise Farms, Lebanon. Meetings are open to all interested parties. To confirm meeting times, call 632-3158.
The O’Fallon Community Food Pantry is open from 9 a.m.-noon Mondays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays. The pantry is located at the O’Fallon Township Building, 801 E. State St. in O’Fallon. For information, call 624-7040.
Cells for soldiers
Wolfersberger Funeral Home at 102 W. Washington St. in O’Fallon is a designated collection site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Used cell phones may be dropped off at the funeral home during regular business hours or by appointment by calling 632-3681.