Talented syndicated cartoonist Glenn McCoy will make a second appearance as speaker at the next meeting of the Metro East Pachyderm Club, set for 6 p.m. Thursday, April 23, at Amore Ristorante, 1050 Eastgate Drive, O’Fallon. McCoy is best known to local residents as the political cartoonist at the Belleville News-Democrat. Optional dining from the menu/buffet begins at 5:30 p.m. The meeting is free and is open to all interested persons. Amore Ristorante is accessed off Highway 50; the restaurant phone number is 624-2033. For more information, contact Laura at (618) 978-2018 or visit the club’s website, metroeastpachy.org.
Ward 4 Town Hall meeting
A Ward 4 Town Hall meeting for O’Fallon will take place at 6:30 p.m. Thursday, April 23, at the Public Safety Building, 285 N. Seven Hills Road, O’Fallon. The purpose of the meeting is to receive questions from residents and present activities taking place in O’Fallon.
Lions Club BBQ
The O’Fallon/Fairview Heights Lions Club will hold its spring wood-smoked BBQ from 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday, April 25, on the Southview Plaza parking lot along side McDonald’s. A rain date is Saturday, May 2. Funds raised go to support Lions projects in the local area including purchase of eye glasses and hearing aids for persons financially deficient. Bring any used eyeglasses or hearing aids as the Lions can recycle many of these. For more info contact Ronald Belcher at 632-2957, (618) 570-9186, or email@example.com.
Moose Lodge 2608 events
▪ Moose Lodge 2608’s 9th annual Golf Classic will take place Saturday, April 25, at Tamarack Golf Course, 800 Tamarack Lane, Shiloh. Registration is at noon. Shotgun start at 1 p.m. $75 per person; $300 per team. Food catered by O’Fallon Moose BBQ Team. For more info contact Andrea Picchietti at (618) 531-4548 or Jeff Jerashen at (618) 401-5088.
▪ O’Fallon Loyal Order of Moose Lodge 2608 Ed Morse Spring Invitational Putt-Putt Pub Crawl will begin at noon Saturday, May 9. Participating establishments are The Hut, American Legion, Haney’s, Mandy’s, Hemingway’s Zen Garden, Casa Azteca, Town Lounge, VFW and Outoorsmen. Cost is $10 due at sign up. All teams start at tavern of their sign up. Awards ceremony at 5 p.m. at Mandy’s. Cash prizes for 1st, 2nd, 3rd and last.
Your Home Team will host its free spring shredding event from 9 a.m.-noon Saturday, April 25, at its offices, 813 W. Hwy. 50, O’Fallon. This event is free to the community. Your Home Team only asks two things: Paper products only and two can goods for the local food pantry.
OTHS Band Boosters’ Yard Sale
The OTHS Band Boosters’ Yard Sale will take place from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday, April 25, at O’Fallon Township High School in the south gym, 600 S. Smiley. Donations needed: Furniture, appliances, linens, tools and lawn items, clothing in all sizes, books, toys, craft items, holiday decorations and anything else that is clean and in working condition. Baked sale items: All students are requested to bring individually wrapped baked good to offer at the bake sale. Indicate if items contain nuts (drop off Friday evening is preferred for pricing purposes). Volunteer work shifts: Many shifts still need to be filled (parents and students). Students are requested to work a shift or two at the yard sale. For more details, see the protected volunteer page of the band website. Donation drop off/pick-up: Drop off donation items between 4:30-8 p.m. Friday, April 24, at the south gym (main entrance) or contact Lisa Walters (call/text (618) 578-9644) or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule a pick-up for large or bulky items.
Soul to Sole Run/Walk
The 2nd annual Soul to Sole 5K Run/Walk & Children’s Fun Run to benefit the Michael J. Fox Foundation will take place at 8:30 a.m. Sunday, April 26, at The Bank of O’Fallon. The children’s fun run will immediately follow. Race day entries are $25, which includes runner’s goodie bag, autographed baseball, refreshments and snacks. In addition, miles 1-3 are available for dediction for $50 for people would like to honor those with Parkinson’s. The first 300 participants will receive a race day shirt. The event will take place rain our shine. For more info e-mail SoultoSole5K@gmail.com.
Corpus Christi chicken dinner
Corpus Christi Church is sponsoring a Spring Chicken Dinner from 3-7 p.m. Sunday, April 26, at the Corpus Christi Parish Center, 206 Rasp St., Shiloh. The dinner will feature home style fried chicken. Adults, $10; children (6-12 years old), $5. Takeouts available. Buckets of chicken (10 pieces) for $12 will be available. Reservations for eight or more people in a party will be accepted by calling 632-7614 by Friday, April 24.
Gospel choir concert
Southern Illinois’ Homecoming Gospel Choir will appear in concert at 6 p.m. Sunday, April 26, at O’Fallon Assembly of God, 1400 N. Green Mount Road. Everyone is invited. Admission to the concert is free and a love offering will be received. For more info contact the church office at 632-5584 or John and Judy Roberts at (618) 245-9133. For more info on Southern Illinois’ Homecoming Gospel Choir, visit www.homecominggospelchoir.com.
Career Exploration Fair
The 5th annual Career Exploration Fair—sponsored by O’Fallon-Shiloh Chamber of Commerce, Junior Achievement and Scott Air Force Base Steam Advisory Group—will be from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Thursday, April 30, at the Regency Conference Center, 400 Regency Park Drive, O’Fallon. Volunteers should be set up by 8:15 a.m. For info on the fair, contact Carol A. Bouche at (800) 342-7119 ext. 220 or email@example.com.
Xi Chi fundraiser
Xi Chi will conduct a traffic stop/roadblock from 2-6 p.m. Friday, May 1, and from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday, May 2, at the intersection of State Street and Lincoln in O’Fallon. All proceeds will benefit St Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
Play Human Foosball on May 2
Blessed Savior Lutheran Church is having a Human Foosball fundraiser to help cover medical expenses for Pastor Vernon Lintvedt on Saturday, May 2 at the church, 1205 N. Lincoln, O'Fallon. Cost is $10 a person, six on a team. If people don’t have a team, they should come anyway and Blessed Savior will find a spot for them. Snacks and beverages will be available.To register a team, call Blessed Savior Lutheran Church at 632-0126 or Ed at (618) 578-8039. What’s human foosball? To see a short video, visit www.mybslc.org.
OTHS Friends of the Endowment Fund Panther Open
The 14th annual OTHS Friends of the Endowment Fund 14th annual Panther Open will take place Saturday, May 2, at Tamarack Golf Course in Shiloh. Registration is at 3:30 p.m.; shotgun start at 4:30 p.m. Event is a 9-hole four-person scramble. Includes greens fee, cart, dinner, attendance and contest prizes and awards. Gifts to the O’Fallon Township High School Endowment Fund, Ltd., are tax deductible as allowed by law. This event benefits the O’Fallon Township High School Endowment Fund Ltd., whose mission is to help secure the future of quality programs offered to students at OTHS. For more info contact chairpersons Ryan Brow, 628-3400 or firstname.lastname@example.org; Clay Buchner, (618) 530-0619 or email@example.com; or Rob Cole, 632-4030 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
OTHS Spring Sing Fundraiser
OTHS Choir Spring Sing Fundraiser will take place Saturday, May 2, at the OTHS Milburn campus, 650 Milburn School Road. 6 p.m. Ice cream social; 7 p.m. Performances by the OTHS Show Choir, including “Great Expectations,” “Innovations” and select individual and ensemble groups. For more info, visit www.othschoir.com.
Senior Citizens Club
Seniors Citizens Club of O’Fallon will host business/entertainment/spring dinner at 6 p.m. Wednesday, May 6, at the Township Building, 801 E. State St., O’Fallon. Must have a ticket.
Troop 40 fundraisers
▪ 5-8 p.m. Wednesday, May 6, at Pizza World, 651 Carlyle Ave. Belleville. This is a fundraiser night and 10 percent of all sales will go to Troop 40.
▪ 9 a.m. Saturday, May 30, Troop 40 Superhero 5K and Mile Fun Run at Klucker Hall in Shiloh. On Facebook: Troop 40 Superhero Run. Online registration at: https://runsignup.com/Race/IL/Shiloh/Troop 40 ShilohSuperhero5K. $25 entry supports local scouts.
CrossFit fundraiser for Mighty Marek
CrossFit Voyage will hold a fundraiser for a case of infantile spasms at 9 a.m. Saturday, May 16, at CrossFit Voyage, 102R W. State St., O’Fallon, Ill.—location is subject to change due to registration numbers. People can register at https//:mightymarek.eventbrite.com. The event is for Marek Harres, affectionately known as Mighty Marek, who was diagnosed with infantile spasms in January 2015. Infantile spasms are seizures seen in infancy and childhood characterized by spasms and developmental regression. Mighty Marek stopped meeting normal developmental milestones at 4 months old and stopped progressing developmentally at approximately 5 months. Registration by Thursday, April 30, will guarantee a “Mighty Marek” shirt in the requested size.
This Able Veteran cosmic bingo
Cosmic bingo will take place Saturday, May 16, at VFW Post 805, 223 W. First St., O’Fallon. Doors open at 5:30 p.m.; bingo starts at 7 p.m. Cost is $20 in advance, $25 at the door. Price includes 6 bingo cards, cosmic dabber and cosmic hat. Additional bingo cards are $5. Cash bar, may bring own snacks. All proceeds benefit This Able Veteran. To make reservations contact Marcia at (618) 581-8402.
The Marine Corps’ Semper Fidelis Football Camp (SFFP) will take place from 8:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m. Sunday, May 17, at O’Fallon Township High School. The Semper Fidelis All-American Football Camps provide an opportunity for student athletes to hone their football skills while receiving instruction from high school, college and NFL Players Association Coaches. For more info, call (314) 452-3856 or visit www.SemperFidelisFootball.com.
OVFD golf classic
The O’Fallon Volunteer Fire Department 16th annual Spring Golf Classic will be Friday, June 5, at Tamarack Country Club. This tournament serves as the department’s primary fundraising activity that supports the O’Fallon community. For more info contact Fred Schmitt at (618) 698-7285.
Pete MacLaughlin golf scramble
The 19th annual Pete MacLaughlin Memorial Golf Scramble will take place Sunday, June 7, at The Hills Golf Club (1015 Belleville St.) at McKendree University in Lebanon. Cost is $65. Check in starts at noon, tee off at 1 p.m., followed by a meal, prizes and auction. This golf scramble benefits the O’Fallon Community Food Pantry. For individual and team registration or further information, contact Roy Carlson, 624-1711.
Performing Arts, Show Choir Camp
Singing Panthers Performing Arts and Show Choir Camp will take place from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. Monday, June 15, through Friday, June 19, at the OTHS Smiley campus, 600 S. Smiley St. Come and work with the OTHS Choral Department for a week jam packed with singing, dancing and performing. Learn music and choreography to Pop and Broadway songs; work with active OTHS Choir students; and end of the week performance for family and friends. Cost is $50 before Monday, June 1; $75 after June 1. Register online at othschoir.com.
Convoy of Hope event
Convoy of Hope metro-east community event will take place from 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Aug. 15, at O’Fallon Community Park, 308 E. 5th St. Free food and services for each guest. Services include free on-site meal, free family portraits, free haircuts, free groceries, free medical and dental screenings, a job fair, community services, entertainment and prayer in the Connections Tent, along with a gigantic kid’s zone for children. For more info, call pastor Donald Andreasen at 632-5584 or visit convoyofhope.org/outreach/metroeast. Also, a volunteer rally will take place at 7 p.m. Friday, Aug. 14, at the O’Fallon Township High School Milburn Campus, 650 Milburn School Road. Contact Pastor Andreasen for info on that event as well.
▪ Come play in the dirt with the O’Fallon Garden Club at its weekly community garden work days at the O’Fallon Community Garden at the corner of State and Smiley Streets. If spring garden cleaning, preparing to plant, weeding, mowing, composting and fertilizing are things people love to do, come to the garden and lend a hand throughout March. Remember to wear comfortable clothing and shoes. Tools are provided, but volunteers are encouraged to bring their own work gloves. Gardening is an excellent exercise alternative and the efforts will benefit the community by supplying fresh vegetables to the food pantry. All ages are welcome. For more information check out www.ofallongardenclub.com or O’Fallon IL Garden Club on Facebook.
▪ The club offers free educational tours of the O’Fallon Community Garden for anyone interested in gardening. Civic and community organizations are welcome.
▪ Garden work days are from 8 a.m.-noon every Monday and Thursday, weather permitting. If you can help with garden clean-up, planting, harvesting, weeding, mowing, composting and fertilizing, join us in the garden. Wear comfortable clothing and shoes and bring gloves and water. Tools provided. For more info, visit www.ofallongardenclub.org or facebook at O’Fallon IL Garden Club.
▪ The O’Fallon Garden Club announces the launch of its website, www.ofallongardenclub.com. This community group in O’Fallon is spreading the love of gardening. For the latest dirt on programs and special events and to see good being done in locally, go to this website.
▪ The O’Fallon Knights of Columbus and Ladies Auxiliary sponsor a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. every Friday at the K of C Hall, 402 E. Highway 50. Orders may be called in at 632-6229. Lunch also is available from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Fridays.
▪ O’Fallon VFW Post 805, 221 W. First Street, and its Ladies Auxiliary sponsor a fish fry from 4-8 p.m. every Friday. Dine-in or call 624-2651 for carry-out.
▪ American Legion Post 137, 109 N. Penn St., O’Fallon, hosts a fish fry from 4:30-8 p.m. every Friday. For take out orders, call 632-8878. Plenty of parking.
O’Fallon Moose Lodge 2608 hosts/sponsors a barbecue from 11 a.m.-5 p.m. the third Saturday of every month at American Legion Post 137, 109 N. Penn St., O’Fallon. Dine-in or carry-out. A portion of the proceeds will be donated to Early Childhood Development Foundation. For more info call 632-8879.
All Pro Dad program
The All Pro Dad program meets at 8 a.m. the last Saturday of each month at Cornerstone Christian Church, 775 N. Green Mount Road, Shiloh. The meetings are open to all and a $5 Chick-Fil-A breakfast will be served. People should RSVP to www.allprodad.com/4368 so enough food can be provided. DJ Ficken (APD leader at Moye School) and Tom Vorce (APD leader at Laverna Evans School) will lead the chapter.
The O’Fallon Rotary Van is available from 8:15 a.m.-3:30 p.m. Monday through Friday to transport any resident to where they need to go within city and township limits. For information, call 632-3517.
TOPS (Take Off Pounds Sensibly) meets at 6:30 p.m. every Monday at the first United Methodist Church, 504 E. Hwy. 50. TOPS is a nonprofit, low-cost program open to men, women and children ages 7 through 18. For more information, call Kathy at 624-8031.
Stop 158 meets at 7 p.m. the third Tuesday of each month at 866 Old Enterprise Farms, Lebanon. Meetings are open to all interested parties. To confirm meeting times, call 632-3158.
The O’Fallon Community Food Pantry is open from 9 a.m.-noon Mondays and 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Tuesdays and Fridays. The pantry is located at the O’Fallon Township Building, 801 E. State St. in O’Fallon. For information, call 624-7040.
Cells for soldiers
Wolfersberger Funeral Home at 102 W. Washington St. in O’Fallon is a designated collection site for Cell Phones for Soldiers. Used cell phones may be dropped off at the funeral home during regular business hours or by appointment by calling 632-3681.
Please submit any Around Town items to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org items by noon the Monday prior to Thursday publication. Thank you