July 10, 2014

Daughter held in suspicious death of 82-year-old Granite City man

A 54-year-old woman was being held Thursday afternoon in connection with the suspicious death of her father in Granite City.

At about 3:30 a.m. Thursday, police received a call that said there was a deceased person in a home in the 2800 block of Harding Avenue, according to Major Jeff Connor. When officers arrived, they found the body of an 82-year-old man, Woodrow C. Dilday. Clues at the scene led them to believe the death was the result of a crime.

"The scene suggested this death to be a homicide," Connor said. "A suspect was taken into custody at the scene and the investigation continues."

Police did not release the name of the daughter.

Police would not release information about what made them believe the death was suspicious. But Connor did say that police do not believe the crime was random.

Madison County Coroner Steve Nonn said preliminary autopsy results suggest Dilday died from blunt-force trauma to the head.

The death was the second to make headlines in as many days in Granite City.

On Wednesday, 45-year-old St. Charles resident Stephen S. Minsh was shot by Granite City Police officers as he allegedly displayed a pistol, refused multiple commands to put it down and then pointed it at two officers.

According to the Illinois State Police, who are investigating the Wednesday case at the request of the Granite City Police Department, authorities received a call for assistance about a man in a car behind a convenience store on Edwardsville Road.

Officers believe the person who made the report was the suspect in the case and said he sounded distraught. But police would not say if they believe the incident was intentionally orchestrated by the victim in order to commit suicide.

Neither State Police nor the Madison County Cornoner's Office would release details about an autopsy on Minsh conducted Wednesday afternoon.

Investigators said family members reached Wednesday in St. Charles were unable to shed much light on why Minsh may have been distraught or why he was in Granite City at 4 a.m.

Contact reporter Scott Wuerz at or call 239-2626.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos