July 30, 2014

Three East St. Louis men face charges of sex with minors

Three East St. Louis men have been charged by the St. Clair County state's attorney's office with sexual abuse in separate cases.

In the first case, Arthur Reed, 43, of the 600 block of North 32nd Street, was charged with criminal sexual abuse of an underaged person.

East St. Louis Detective Lamar Martin said the charge pertains to Reed having sex with a 15-year-old male, with whom he was friends.

Reed and the juvenile were suppose to meet some transsexual guys at Reed's house, but they didn't show up. Reed ended up having sex with the boy, Martin said.

The unnamed victim's mother notified police after her son and Reed got into an altercation at a gas station in May.

"The victim told his mother that the suspect raped him and we began our investigation, which led to the suspect being charged," Martin said.

Reed has an extensive criminal history dating back to Feb. 10,1989. He has been booked into the St. Clair County Jail a total of 22 times for parole violations, unlawful use of a weapon, possession of drug paraphernalia, theft, disorderly conduct, loitering, vehicle hijacking, battery, domestic battery, armed robbery and burglary.

He has served time at the Menard and Graham prisons. He is currently being held in the St. Clair County Jail in lieu of $100,000 bail.

In the other cases:

* Dayhna Samuel, 39, of the 1700 block of North 43rd Street, was charged with one count of criminal sexual abuse. He was out of prison on probation when he allegedly committed the offense, police said.

East St. Louis Detective Carlos Coleman investigated the case that led to Samuel getting charged. Coleman said the victim was a relative who is older than 5 years old, but not old enough to give consent to have sex. Samuel is currently being held at the St. Clair County Jail in lieu of $200,000 bail.

* Pedro Staten, 20, of the 600 block of North 31st Street, was charged with one count of criminal sexual abuse of a minor. Staten is accused of having sex with a friend's relative.

Police were notified when the victim's mother saw on Facebook that her daughter and the suspect had been engaged in sex on more than one occasion, Martin said.

Related content



Editor's Choice Videos