A rash of burglaries led Madison County sheriff’s deputies to eight arrests this week, crimes that police said were fueled by drugs.
Increased burglary and theft complaints in Foster, Jarvis, Wood River and Moro townships led the Madison County Sheriff’s Department to increase patrols in those areas, with the belief that they were seeking multiple groups of offenders. Most of the burglaries were in sheds, but in some cases, they entered residences, according to law enforcement. Most of the stolen items were power tools and similar equipment.
The investigation led to the arrests of eight people on accusations of 10 burglaries. Items recovered included an all-terrain vehicle, power tools, chain saws, scrap metal, weed eaters, leaf blowers and other equipment with a total value estimated up to $10,000.
Sheriff John Lakin said they believe the suspects were working in teams, but not as a coordinated ring. Arrested were:
Never miss a local story.
- Amber Medina of Caseyville, and Augustin Martinez of Lansing, Mich., each charged with residential burglary, a Class 1 felony, and attempted burglary, a Class 3 felony;
- Haley Severit of St. Jacob, charged with theft over $500, a Class 3 felony; and Justin McClain of St. Jacob, charged with two counts of burglary, a Class 2 felony; one count of theft over $500 and one count of residential burglary.
- Chad Latty of East Alton, charged with two counts of burglary.
- Duane Reams of Bethalto, charged with burglary.
- Byron Delp Jr. of Cottage Hills, charged with burglary; and Terral Barnes of Cahokia, charged with burglary and aggravated battery, a Class 3 felony. Barnes’ charges allege he shoved an elderly man in the course of committing the crime.
“There’s no tie between the (pairs) that were working,” Lakin said. “The only tie is that three of the four (pairs) were using the funds they got from the burglaries to purchase illegal drugs.”
Anyone with additional information is asked to contact the Madison County Sheriff’s Department at 692-4433 or the anonymous tip line at 296-3000.