At six months old, my daughter was diagnosed with life-threatening food allergies to eggs and dairy. Suddenly a play date at the museum felt like a dangerous proposition. A cheese cracker can close her throat, and a doughnut crumb can send her into cardiac arrest. A child’s world, full of snacks and sippy cups was a minefield for her.
My daughter has experienced anaphylaxis several times and epinephrine stops a reaction in its tracks. We carry two Epi auto-injectors, but even after years of practice they have been forgotten at home. Parents make mistakes. Having an auto-injector in public places could save my daughter’s life; also, the lives of people with yet unknown allergies. This is why lawmakers must pass HB 4462/SB 2878. This legislation provides people, like my daughter, with a safety net. It sends a message our community is interested in seeing them lead the fullest, most autonomous life they can.
Elizabeth Krag, Edwardsville