Belleville East has big week
▪ A day after clinching city championship with a 9-0 sweep of cross-town West, the Belleville East girls tennis team breezed through a three-match Southern Illinois Duals slate Friday.
The Lancers defeated Normal 5-2, Hinsdsale South 5-0 and defending Missouri state champion Columbia Rock Ridge, 4-3.
Abigail McIsaac, Susan Shin, Kaylyn DeVecchio and Caroline Smith got singles wins in the signature victory over Rock Ridge.
Never miss a local story.
Chloe McIsaac, Isabel Burwitz, JoJo Skaer, Lauren Cowulich, Maddy Hamilton and Maddie Buscher were singles winners in the Lancers city championship win over West Thursday.
O’Fallon girls shatter school golf record
▪ Senior Alyssa McMinn shot a 35, while younger sister Brianna McMinn shot a 36 for the O’Fallon Panthers girls golf team Wednesday at Arlington Greens Golf Course. The Panthers set a new school nine-hole record of 147 in posting a 37-stroke win over Collinsville.
Natalie Meinkoth and Emily Marrs added rounds of 38 for O’Fallon, which broke the old school mark of 153 by six strokes.
Monie, Highland win MVC golf titles
▪ Brandon Monie shot a 2-over par 73, and Ben Brauns added a 79 on Thursday to help the Highland Bulldogs win the team title at the Mississippi Valley Conference Golf Tournament. The event was played at the Orchards Golf Course in Belleville.
The Bulldogs finished with a four-player score of 315, 26 strokes better than second-place Waterloo (341).
Althoff golf nips Carbondale, Centralia
▪ Senior Dylan Davidson continued to shine as he shot a 37 to lead the Althoff Crusaders boys golf team past Carbondale and Centralia in a South Seven Conference golf match Thursday at Green View Golf Course in Centralia.
The Crusaders finished with a score of 155, three shots better than Carbondale (158). Centralia finished with a 165.
Lewis leads Crusaders over East
▪ Althoff senior Megan Lewis shot a 41 to lead a balanced attack as the Cruasders defeated Belleville East and Waterloo in a triangular golf match Thursday at Acorns Golf Links in Waterloo.
Tia Kimbrough and Anna Pusa added rounds of 44, while Maggie Tiernan added a 45 for Althoff, which finished with a 177. Belleville East shot a 203, while Waterloo shot 221.
Calvert’s hat trick gives Wesclin win
▪ Wesclin senior Trent Calvert scored three goals as the Wesclin Warriors rolled past Valmeyer 5-3 on Thursday in a Cahokia Conference soccer game.
Five goal performance lifts Carlyle
▪ Jacopo Alongi scored five goals as the Carlyle Indians defeated Christ Our Rock Lutheran 5-0 on Thursday in a nonconference boys soccer game.