The Edwardsville Tigers put the finishing touches on one of the most dominating regular seasons in recent history on Tuesday with a 25-stroke win at the Southwestern Conference Golf Tournament.
If Edwardsville coach Dene Schickedanz has his way, the best is yet to come.
“I sure hope we can," Schickedanz said when asked about a long postseason run. “I’ve been fortunate in that I’ve had the opportunity to coach a lot of very good teams at Edwardsville and this one of the best ones I’ve been around. We’ve got of players on this team who have and can shoot some very good scores. The way we’re playing right now, I like our chances."
Led by sophomore Tanner White’s 2-under-par 70, Edwardsville finished with a score of 303 as it claimed its 15th SWC Conference championship in the last 16 years at the eight-team event at the Jack Nicklaus-designed Stonewolf Golf Club.
Never miss a local story.
Edwardsville had four of the top eight finishers all of who shot rounds of 79 or better. The Tigers also had a fifth payer, Zach Trimpe, who barely missed earning all-conference honors — he shot an 80.
Next up for Edwardsville is the Class 3A Edwardsville Regional on Tuesday at their home course, Oak Brook Golf Course. A top three finish or better there would earn the Tigers a trip to the Alton Sectional on Oct. 12.
The tournament is at Spencer T. Olin Golf Course, where Schickedanz worked for several years as the head teaching professional.
“Playing at Oak Brook, which is our home course, and where we’re comfortable is an advantage and then if we’re fortunate enough to advance from there we’ll be playing at Spencer T. Olin (Golf Course), which is another course we have had some success in the past," Schickedanz said. “But this is golf and from day to day anything can happen. The good thing is that we’re playing the regional at home and the sectional 15 minutes from home."
The Edwardsville Regional is one of nine boys and girls regionals involving teams and individuals from metro east schools. The boys regionals is Oct. 6 and the girls regionals is Oct. 7.
Boys Regional Assignments
Metro east area players will compete in five different regionals on Tuesday.
- Class 1A Wesclin Regional, Governors Run GC, Carlyle: Governor French Academy, Mater Dei, Carlyle, Mater East Lutheran, Father McGivney (Glen Carbon); First Baptist Academy (O’Fallon) and Wesclin
- Class 1A Pinckneyville Regional, Red Hawk, GC. Tamaroa: Nashville, New Athens, Okawville, Red Bud, Sparta, Steeleville, Valmeyer and Gibault
- Class 2A Marquette Regional, Rolling Hills GC, Godfrey: Marquette, Civic Memorial, Highland, Jerseyville, Triad, Roxana and Wood River
- Class 2A Waterloo Regional, The Acorns: Althoff, Columbia, Central, Freeburg, Mascoutah, Waterloo
- Class 3A Edwardsville Regional, Oak Brook GC, Edwardsville: Alton, Belleville East, Belleville West, East St. Louis, Edwardsville, Collinsville, Granite City and O’Fallon.
Girls Regional Assignments
Metro east area players will compete in four different regionals on Wednesday.
- Class A Roxana Regional, Belk Park GC, Wood River: Althoff, Marquette, Columbia, Civic Memorial, Freeburg, Marissa, Jerseyville, Mascoutah, New Athens, Red Bud, Roxana, Sparta, Waterloo and Gibault
- Class A Mount Carmel Regional, Mount Carmel City Golf Course: Nashville, Okawville
- Class A Salem Regional. Salem CC: Mater Dei, Central and Highland
- Class 2A O’Fallon Regional, Tamarack CC: Triad, Alton, O’Fallon, Granite City, Edwardsvville, Collinsville, Belleville East and Belleville West