The following players earned game balls for their outstanding performances in week one.
▪ Highland senior quarterback Garrett Marti completed 18 of 26 for 298 yards and four touchdowns as the Bulldogs scorched Alton 47-6. Marti also scored on a 26-yard touchdown run and rushed for 67 yards on just six carries.
▪ Carlyle senior wide receiver/defensive back Tyler Siever was there on both sides of the football as Carlyle stunned Nashville 34-27 on Friday. Siever caught touchdown passes of 42 and 11 yards from quarterback Alex Huels and had interception returns of 52 and 59 yards for scores.
▪ Columbia senior Colton Byrd rushed for 217 yards and five touchdowns in the Eagles 40-37 overtime loss to Morton. Byrd scored on runs of 1, 2, 7, 7 and 64 yards.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Freeburg running backs Hayden Shea and Logan Stone led the Midgets past Sparta during Friday night’s game. Shea ran for 212 yards on just eight carries while scoring on runs of 83 and 36 yards, while Stone scored on runs of 4, 26 and 6 yards, rushing for 91 yards. Freeburg demolished Sparta 61-18, compiling 516 yards on the ground.
▪ Granite City sophomore quarterback Freddy Edwards accounted for six touchdowns as the Warriors defeated Jerseyville 52-41 in a high scoring game. Edwards rushed for 247 yards on 22 carries and scored on runs of 38, 54, 12 and five yards. Edwards was also 5-of 7 on pass attempts for 119 yards and two scores.
▪ Mascoutah running back Devin Willis and wide receiver Treshaun Buckingham: Willis scored on runs of 29 and 1 yard, finishing with 150 yards while Buckingham had nine receptions for 192 yards, including a 47-yard touchdown catch in the Indians 49-35 loss to Marion.
▪ Mater Dei senior Lucas Theising returned the opening kickoff 90 yards and caught five passes for 127 yards and a touchdown as the Knights held off Effingham 27-26 on Friday.
▪ Red Bud senior linebacker Logan Houba had 18 tackles, including 13 solos, as the Musketeers opened with a 21-7 win over Pinckneyville.
▪ Triad running back Trevor Nott ran for five touchdowns in the Knights’ 47-20 win over Mattoon.
▪ Wesclin running backs Gavin Bilbruck and KJ Corley both rushed for more than 100 yards as the Warriors nipped North Mac. Bilbruck, who ran for 112 yards, scored on runs of 19 and 8 yards while Corley finished with 113 yards.
▪ Belleville West senior Kriston Davis ran for 215 yards on 35 carries and scored three touchdowns as the Maroons opened the season with a 48-24 road win at Quincy. Davis scored on runs of 5, 1 and 6 yards,
▪ East St. Louis senior quarterback Christian Perez made his Flyers debut a memorable one in a 40-28 win over Providence Catholic. A transfer from O’Fallon, Perez was 20-of-26 for 332 yards and five touchdowns as the defending Class 7A state champion Flyers triumphed in a battle of perennial state powers.
▪ Edwardsville junior Dionte Rodgers rushed for 164 yards and two touchdowns in a 53-49 loss to Naperville North.