▪ Alton running back Darrell Smith ran for 147 yards and three touchdowns as the Redbirds (2-1) defeated Collinsville 70-19 in Southwestern Conference play. Smith scored on runs of 47, 25 and 4 yards — all in the first half.
▪ East St. Louis linebacker Eric Owens and lineman Demond Taylor combined for 21 tackles as the Flyers defeated Edwardsville 32-7 in a Southwestern Conference game on Friday.
▪ Making his varsity debut, Belleville East freshman kicker Alex Maxim booted field goals of 38 and 37 yards as the Lancers defeated Granite City 43-14 for their first win of the season.
▪ Taking over the offensive load when quarterback Freddy Edwards was injured, Granite City junior Jerry Watson ran for 106 yards and caught seven passes for 165 yards during the Warriors 43-14 loss to Belleville East.
Never miss a local story.
▪ Belleville West senior Kriston Davis ran for 129 yards and two scores as the Maroons opened Southwestern Conference play with a 24-7 win over winless O’Fallon, Davis tallied on runs of 1 and 54 yards.
▪ Central quarterback Trent Nunn had a hand in six touchdowns and totaled more than 440 yards of offense as the Cougars remained undefeated with a 42-27 win at Freeburg, Nunn ran for 183 yards and four touchdowns and was 11-of-18 for 259 yards and two scores.
▪ Red Bud quarterback Griffin Ziebold was 21-of-31 for 319 yards and five touchdowns but the Musketeers still dropped to 1-2 with a 36-33 loss to Carlyle.
▪ Columbia senior Colton Byrd ran for 248 yards and three touchdowns in the Eagles 54-15 thrashing of Salem, Byrd scored on runs of 19, 28 and 5 yards for the Eagles.
▪ Columbia quarterback Nic Horner was 12-of 14 for 239 yards and three touchdowns as the Eagles won for the second week in a row after a season opening loss. One of Horner’s scoring strikes was a 76-yard play to twin brother Sam Horner.
▪ Collinsville running back Kameron Sloan rushed for 97 yards and scored on a 71-yard run to provide the Kahoks with their lone highlight in a 70-17 loss at Alton.
▪ Civic Memorial senior Austin Eaton ran for 134 yards and two scores as the Eagles posted their first win of the season — a 20-6 triumph over Richland.
▪ Highland quarterback Garrett Marti was 16-of-26 for 233 yards and two touchdowns as the Class 5A state power Bulldogs posted a 45-27 win over South Seven Conference power Marion. Marti now has 11 touchdown passes and no interceptions in the first three weeks of the season. Junior Sam LaPoarta caught nine of the passes for 172 yards.
▪ Jerseyville quarterback Drew Sauerwein was 31-of-46 for 442 yards and four scores but it wasn’t enough as Centralia outlasted the Panthers 56-52 in as high scoring game.
▪ Mascoutah linebacker Dylan Ross and defensive back Ronald Clay combined for 17 tackles in the Indians 22-21 loss at Mahomet-Seymour.
▪ Gavin Bilbruck ran fror 217 yards and three touchdowns as surprising Wesclin posted a big 35-14 win on the road at Nashville. Bilbruck scored on runs of 2, 2 and 62 yards for the Warriors (3-0)
▪ Althoff running back Richard Cosey and wide receiver Burke Watts. Cosey ran for 90 yards and two touchdowns while Watts caught four passes for 114 yards a apair of scores as the undefeated Crusaders ran past Mater Dei.
▪ Belleville East wide receiver Quantavius Alexander showed off his versatility as the Lancers defeated Granite City for their first win of the season. Alexander ran the ball four times for 109 yards, scoring on a 79-yard run. He also caught five passes for 84 yards and a touchdown and had run kickoff return for 52 yards.
▪ East St. Louis quarterback Christian Perez and running back Jigg Brown. Perez was 16-of-24 for 197 yards and two touchdowns. Brown had 29 attempts for 178 yards for the Flyers (2-1).
▪ Carlyle quarterback Alex Huels and wide receiver Kyle Siever stood out in a win over Red Bud. Huels was 21-of-29 for 326 yards and four touchdowns while Siever continues to shine, catching six passes for 126 yards and two touchdowns.