St. Louis Cardinals

August 31, 2014

Cardinals' Wong woozy but OK after rough fall in outfield grass

Kolten Wong felt fine Sunday despite banging his head on the ground trying to make an acrobatic catch.

Wong, the St. Louis Cardinals rookie second baseman, raced into short right-center to attempt a grab of Chris Valaika's bloop single in the eighth inning of a 9-6 victory over the Chicago Cubs.

Wong, however, tumbled to the turf and was dazed as trainers raced from the dugout to check his condition. Wong left the game and said later that he doesn't expect to play at 1:15 p.m. Monday when the Cardinals face the Pittsburgh Pirates.

"I definitely hit (the ground) pretty hard," said Wong, who hammered his 10th home run in the fifth inning. "As soon as I hit, I just knew I had to lay down because I felt a lot of pressure in my head and (I was) a little dizzy."

Wong recalls being asked a battery of questions, as the Cardinals' training staff checked for signs of a concussion.

"They asked me my name, what today was, who we played yesterday, this and that," Wong said. "I answered them fine. I didn't lose any consciousness and I wasn't out of it at all. I just felt really dizzy. Not really any pain. No headache or anything. I just felt a little pressure in my head and dizzy."

Cardinals manager Mike Matheny immediately was concerned about a possible concussion.

"That's how a lot of guys get them, when their head hits on the back side," said Matheny, who suffered several as a catcher during his playing days. "But he was going all-out. He knew how important that out was. Fighting the sun, he almost made a really nice catch."

Wong said he could have remained in the game were it not for the dizziness, which had subsided a few minutes later.

"I think I could have stayed (in), but I definitely would have been a little dizzy out there," Wong said. "Sitting up and standing up, I could feel I was a little out of it, a little dizzy. But for the most part, everything got better as the game went on."

Wong was disappointed he didn't make the catch, but the Cubs were kept off the board by Pat Neshek.

"It hit off my glove," Wong said. "I was running back for it, fighting the sun and seeing if I could catch the ball out of the sun. At the last moment, it went left and I tried to do a maneuver and try to catch it, but it hit off my glove. Unfortunately, I didn't make the play."

Wong said he will come to the stadium Monday prepared to play, but won't be surprised to open the game on the bench.

"I've got to do some tests (Monday) to find out if I'm fine," Wong said. "From there on, they'll probably give me the day (off). If they need me, I'll be ready to pinch-hit."

Matheny didn't rule out Wong being available to start.

"He's sore," Matheny said. "He went through a bunch of tests already. The doctors got to him. There were no signs of concussion. We've had a couple different doctors look at him already. I'm sure (Monday) he'll be a little sore. We'll probably bring the doctors back in and reevaluate. We got good news on the initial report."

Contact reporter David Wilhelm at or 239-2665. Follow him on Twitter: @DavidMWilhelm.

Related content



Sports Videos