- Euchre tournament — 7 p.m. Friday at Smithton Senior Center. Partner night. Everyone welcome.
- Wishbone Ash concert — 8 p.m. Friday, Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Tickets: $35, $55 VIP. Information: www.wildeytheatre.com or 618-307-1750.
- Down by the River benefit concert — 6 p.m. Saturday. Music by the Big Shake Daddies. Silent auction and dancing on the promenade of National Great Rivers Museum, Melvin Price Locks and Dam, Alton. Benefits Catholic Children’s home in Alton. Tickets, $25.
- Square and round dancing —Friday, Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Aaron Wells calling squares; Bob Pyles cueing rounds. Information: Eunice Peterson, 618-660-6030.
- Ballroom dance —7:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday. Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St. Music by Michael Lacey.
- PSOP Orchestra — 9:30 a.m.-2 p.m. Wednesday at Collinsville Senior Citizens Center, 420 E. Main St. Lunch will be served. Call Al at 618-344-7787 for reservations.
- Ladies Night Out — 5-8 p.m. Thursday. $5. Shop, sip and support downtown Belleville businesses. Starting point: Eye on Design, 309 E. Main St. After party: Pitcher’s Sports Pub and Pizzeria, 104 W. Main St. Portion of entrance fee supports Karla Smith Foundation which helps families affected by mental illness and suicide.
- Belleville Oktoberfest — 11 a.m.-11 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Belleville Public Square. 5 p.m. Friday, opening ceremony; 6:30-8:30 p.m. Super Jam; 9-11 p.m. Little River Band. Authentic German food, beer and desserts; 30 food vendors. Entertainment on three stages. USAF Band of Mid-America from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday on the East Main Street Community Stage. 400-foot bier garden tent, free children’s area, craft vendors. Car show, wiener dog race and corn hole tourney on Saturday. Information: www.bellevilleoktoberfest.com
- Rummage sale — 6-8 p.m. Friday pre-sale, $5 admission; 8 a.m.-1 p.m. Saturday. Corpus Christi Catholic Church parish center, 205 Rasp St., Shiloh.
- Mosaics Festival — 4-9 p.m. Friday; 11 a.m.-9 p.m. Saturday; 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Sunday. Free arts festival along North Main Street in St. Charles, Mo. Art, entertainment and chance for children to create art.
- Okawville Fair and Wheat Festival — Community Park, 511 S. Hanover, Okawville. Free. Begins 5 p.m. Friday and continues Saturday and Sunday. Carnival rides, free entertainment, food. Queen pageant and Little Miss Contest at Okawville High School, 7 p.m.; music by J. Christopher. On Saturday: concession stands open at 11 a.m; washer tournament, 1 p.m.; young farmers activities, 1 p.m.; antique tractor pull, 2 p.m; Venedy Band, 4:30-6 p.m.; bingo, 5-10 p.m.; music by Hillbilly Authority, 8 p.m.-midnight. On Sunday: concessions open at 11 a.m.; float parade at 2 p.m.; Okawville High School band concert, 4 p.m.; bingo 4-9 p.m.; music by Backroads at 6 p.m. Fried chicken, pork steaks, and more. Sponsored by Okawville Community Club and Lions Club.
- Holy Trinity Church picnic — Friday and Saturday, Holy Trinity Church grounds, 505 Fountains Parkway, Fairview Heights. Fish fry friday, Two Deacons outdoor grill. On Saturday: Polka Mass, 4 p.m.; quilt and cash bingo, fried chicken dinner, beer garden live music, kids games and activities, adult games, booths silent auction.
- 3-mile evening walk in Jefferson Barracks Park — Group 1 registers at 5:15 p.m.; group 2 registers at 6:15 p.m. Walks begin 15 minutes later. Meet at Walgreen’s, 2700 Telegraph Road, St. Louis, to register, then drive to park. Second group should bring a flashlight. All walkers should bring water and insect repellent. Information: Bill at 618-588-4097 or www.illinois-trekkers.org
- Bass fishing tournament — 4 p.m.-dusk Thursday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. $20 a fisherman. Sponsored by Riverhouse Bass Club. Cash payout for placing.
- Championship Bull Riding — 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Monroe County Fairgrounds, Waterloo. Music by Next Best Thing after bull riding. Food and drinks available. Information: www.WaterlooILOptimist.org or 618-477-7240.
- 5k, 10k, 12k or 17k walk — Register between 8 and 11 a.m. Saturday at Scheve Park, Main Pavilion, 901 Harnett St. in Mascoutah. $3 fee. Pets welcome. Information: Susan Jones at email@example.com or call 951-818-6662 or visit www.illinois-trekkers.org or www.ava.org.
- Lincoln Place Heritage Festival —11 a.m. - 5 p.m. Saturday. Lincoln Place Community Center, 822 Niedringhaus Ave., Granite City. Features ethnic cultures of historic Lincoln Place, ethnic foods and pastries, folk dancers and music, face painting, magic shows, quilt displays, vendors, crafters. Includes apple pie baking contest. Take pies to West Room of Lincoln Place Community Center by 1 p.m. Information: 618-451-2611
- Art on the Bluffs — 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, Main Street, downtown Columbia. More than 40 artists exhibiting. Hands-on art activities at Kids Walk. Music, food, vendors.
- Murphysboro Appletime Fiddle and Banjo Contest — 5 p.m. Saturday, Liberty Theater, 1333 Walnut St., downtown Murphysboro. Free. 5-6 p.m. George Portz and his friends of Bluegrass with Brenda Cook; 6-9 p.m. fiddle and banjo contest.
- Edwardsville Oktoberfest Festival — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday. Free. City Park near the Edwardsville Public Library, 101 S. Buchanan, Edwardsville. Live music, over 20 beers, food. 50/50 raffle.
- Autism Speaks fund raiser — 6 p.m. Saturday, Lenzburg Community Hall. Beer and barbecue sold by Fire Department, bake sale, silent auction, 50/50 and basket raffle; 7 p.m. quarter auction.
- Frontier Days — 5 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Caseyville Park, 40 W. Reynolds St., Caseyville. Reenactor encampment is modeled after a pre-1840s rendezvous where trappers would meet to exchange goods and socialize. Watch demonstrations. See and play with toys and games that were popular during frontiers days. Throw a tomahawk. Free admission. Food and goods available to buy. Reenactors who want to attend, call Many Hats at 314-920-2697. Reenactor potluck at 6 p.m. Saturday.
- Dynamo Pro Wrestling —7 p.m. Saturday doors open; 8 p.m. wrestling. Sports Academy, 101 The Game Drive, Glen Carbon. $10 adults; $12 day of event. Children 5-12, $5. Information: www.dynamoprowrestling.com or Sports Academy 618-288-6899.
- Drive 4UR Community — 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Sears Hardware & Appliance parking lot, 501 Beltline Road, Collinsville. Ford will donate $20 to “drive away cancer” for each test drive participant. No cost to participants.
- Drag boat races — gates open at 9 a.m. Saturday and Sunday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Sponsors: Kentucky Drag Boat Association and Lucas Oil. $10 general admission; 12 and younger, free. Information: 618-475-2223.
- Recycling opportunity —9 a.m.-noon Saturday, St. Paul United Church of Christ, church parking lot off C Street between 1st and 2nd streets, Belleville. Will accept electronic equipment and metal items such as appliances, furniture, decorations, lawn equipment, car and rechargeable batteries. Also flat screen LCD monitors and TVs. Also paper shredding.
- Live music — 4-8 p.m. Saturday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens.
- Live music — 8-midnight Saturday by Bits N Pieces and 4-8 p.m. Sunday by Cadillac Daddies. Free. Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis.
- St. Mary’s Church Celebration — noon-6 p.m. Sunday, St. Mary’s Catholic Church, Valmeyer. Free. Features George Portz and His Friends of Bluegrass and Worthington family at 4.
- Live music —3-7 p.m. Sunday. Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens.
- Highland League of Writers —6-9 p.m. Monday, Korte Recreation Center, Room No. 2, Highland. Free and open to public. Featured speaker: Paul Jarvis, who plays 18 nstruments, will talk about lyric and music writing. Information: Chuck Schwend, 618-887-4797 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 5K/10K walk — Register at 7:45 a.m. Tuesday for 8 a.m. walk through Glen Carbon streets and on bike trail. $3. Meet at Casey’s General Store, 70 S. Main St. Information: Susan at email@example.com or www.illinois-trekkers.org
- Barbecue — 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Turkey Hill Grange Hall, corner of Green Mount Road and Illinois 15 (near Eckert’s), Belleville. Pork steaks, pulled pork sandwich, brats, potato salad, baked beans, slaw, chunky applesauce, cucumber salad, brownies, cobbler, pie, cake, canned drinks. Kids meal. Carryout available.
- Aviston Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton St., Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, 1/4 fried chicken; sides include fries, baked potato, slaw, applesauce. . Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Columbia American Legion Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Cut-up cod, farm-raised catfish fillets, breaded butterfly shrimp, hot dogs. Sandwiches or plates with choice of two sides. Sampler plate with three kinds of fish, hush puppies and choice of two sides. Eat in or carryout. Open bar: $1 sodas and $2 long necks.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt.
- Fried Chicken — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. All you can eat. Adults $10; $8 seniors; $5 children (12 and younger). Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post 22.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryout available. 618-632-8879.
- Scott VFW Post 4183 Fish Fry — 5-9 p.m. outisde Scott Air Force Base, Belleville Gate. Information, call 618-746-9801.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-624-5412. Auxiliary bake sale for charity.
- Summerfield Fish Fry — 5:30 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Summerfield Lions Club, 100 E. Park St., Summerfield. 618-934-3841 or 618-334-3177.
- Swansea Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Swansea Fish Stand, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, shrimp. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Choice of cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp, 618-667-8387.
- Chicken dinner —3:30-7 p.m. Saturday at Albers American Legion. Chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy, green beans, corn, slaw, applesauce, cold macaroni salad, coffee, tea, dessert. $8 adults; $4 children 6 to 12; free for 5 and under. Carry outs available 25 percent of profits benefit Albers and Damiansville schools. Information: 618-248-5505.
- Cahokia barbecue —11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Cahokia VFW Post 1699, 621 Water St. Menu includes pork steaks, bratwurst and hamburgers with or without sauce, baked beans, cole slaw and mac and cheese. Eat in or carry out.
- Chicken dinner, 11 a.m.-5 p.m. St. Felicitas Church, Beaver Prairie, 13322 Church Road, Carlyle. Homemade bread, dressing and desserts. Carry outs available. Look for signs on new Route 50 west of Carlyle and on Illinois 127, six miles north of Carlyle.
- Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Tuesday. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
- Walton’s Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus, Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
- Swansea Farmer’s Market — 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Rural King parking lot, 2801 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Locally grown crops (tomatoes, peaches, cucumbers, and more), baked goods and crafts. Information: 618-978-8753 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Old Town Market — 7:30 a.m.-noon Saturday, West Main and First streets, in the parking lot of the St. Clair County Public Health Department, downtown Belleville. Locally grown produce, plants, honey, baked goods, summer sausage, apple butter, jams and jellies, homemade soaps, handmade jewelry and other crafts.
- Belleville Flea Market —9 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Belle Clair Fairgrounds, 200 South Belt East, Belleville. Admission: free. Parking, $3. Antiques, collectibles, vintage and more. Over 400 vendors.
- Meat shoot — noon Sundays, VFW Post 1300, 3401 Century Drive, Granite City. Information, call 618-877-8764.
- Meat shoot — noon Sunday, American Legion Post 1937 at TR’s, 4901 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Shoot and wheel rounds. Attendance prizes. Free good. House gun available.
- “A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum” — 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2:30 p.m. Sunday and Sept. 23-25. Monroe Actors Stage Company at the historic Capitol Theater in Waterloo. Tickets: 618-939-7469 or www.masctheatre.org and at the box office which opens an hour before show time. Cost: $14; and for seniors and students, $12. The fast-paced comedy set in ancient Rme centers around the slave Pseudolus who yearns for freedom. Directed by Kathryn Campbell; music directon by Marcia Braswell.
- Team Chale trivia night — Friday, Bel-Air Bowl, Belleville. $150 for a table of 8 or $20 per person. Free beer and soda. Silent auction, includes Cardinal tickets and a weekend getaway to Crown Valley Winery. Prizes to top three tables. Proceeds benefit Chale Donahue and family. She is battling a rare form of breast cancer. Informatin: David Donahue at 618-616-4141 to reserve a table.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: email@example.com
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2641.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.