- Ballroom Dance — 7:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday, Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St., music by The Alley Kats.
- Square Dance — 7-9 p.m. Thursday, Sept. 8, at Wood River Round House, 633 N. Wood River Ave., Wood River. Hoedowners Square Dance Club will introduce you to a fun activity, nice people, snacks and a good time. Calls are easy to learn; no fancy footwork. Information: Bo and Agnes: 618-288-9838; Larry and Mary, 618-462-1814; Wayne and Bev, 618-656-8092.
- Bass Fishing Tournament — 4 p.m.-dusk, Thursday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. $20 per fisherman. Cash pay out for placing. Sponsored by Riverhouse Bass Club.
- Midwest Wingfest — 5-11 p.m. Friday and noon-11 p.m. Saturday. Chicken wing festival at St. Clair Square Mall parking lot. Gourmet and hot wings to sample. A 5K run at 7 a.m. Saturday ($25 for adults, $10 for kids, live music (Rising country star Jon Pardi will perform.), wing-eating contest on Saturday afternoon. Also pulled pork and chili dogs, beer.
- St. Louis Greek Festival — Starts at 11 a.m. Friday with Athens On The Street, a festival preview witih festival favorites and live music, till 9 p.m., then 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Monday, corner of Forest Park and Kingshighway. Gyros, moussaka, spanakopita, baklava. Live entertainment with music by Christos Sarantakis. Folk dancing by St. Nicholas Greek dancers. Tour the church, browse the gift shop. Information: www.sngoc.urg
- Live music — 8 p.m.-midnight Friday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Mz Sha and the Kle Sha Band.
- Queeny Park Art Fair — 5-9 p.m. Friday; 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Saturday, 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Greensfelder Recreation Complex in Queeny Park, 550 Weidman Road, Ballwin, Mo. More than 130 artists from 20 states will show and sell work. Admission is $5.
- St. Louis Gateway Postcard Club show — 10 a.m.-6 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, 1234 Vandalia St. (Illinois 159), Collinsville. More than 25 dealers. Food available. Information, call Tom Snyder, 618-531-4189 or email@example.com. Free admission, free parking, free appraisals.
- Free movie — “Kung Fu Panda 3, ” 7:30 p.m. Friday, St. Clair Square (Sears Parking lot). Lawn chairs are encouraged; no outside food or beverages; no alcohol, glass containers or pets allowed. Information: www.StClairSquare.com/deals-and-events
- Walking tour of historic downtown Belleville — 10 a.m. Saturday. It starts at Veterans’ Memorial on the southeast corner of the square on East Main. Tour is approximately 16 blocks long and lasts about 90 minutes. $10 per person 12 years old and older. Benefits Belleville Historical Society. Reservations required. Call 618-236-7481 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Big Muddy Blues Festival — 3 p.m-midnight. Saturday and Sunday. Outdoor music festival on Laclede’s Landing, downtown St. Louis, featuring local and natinally known artists. Three stages. Admission is $10 or a two-day pass for $20. Saturday: 3:30 p.m. - Funky Butt Brass Band; 5 p.m. - David Dee and Hot Tracks; 6:30 p.m. - Big George Brock; 8 p.m. - Roland Johnson; 9:45 p.m. - Renee Smith. Sunday: 3:30 p.m. - Piano Showcase featuring Ethan Leinwand, James Matthews and Dean Minderman; 5 p.m. - Big Mike Aguirre; 6:30 p.m. - Boo Boo Davis and Arthur Williams; 8 p.m. - Marsha Evans and The Coalition; 9:45 p.m. - Jeremiah Johnson. Performers on other outdoor stages include Soulard Blues Band, Pennsylvania Slim and Kingdom Brothers. There also will be live music inside at several bars on the Landing. Information: bigmuddybluesfestival.com.
- Live music — 3-7 p.m. Saturday and 8 p.m.-midnight, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Down N Dirty will play at 8.
- 5k/10k walk —9 a.m. Saturday, in Maryland Heights, Mo. Meet at Schnuck’s Market (break room), 2030 Dorsett Road at 8:45 a.m. to register. $3 fee. Drive to start location at Creve Coeur Lake. Bring water. Walk along lake on pedestrian path. Information: Trudy at email@example.com or www.illinois-trekkers.org
- Japanese Festival — 10 a.m.-8 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Monday. Missouri Botanical Garden, 4344 Shaw Blvd., St. Louis. 40th anniversary of cultural event. $15 adults; $5 children. Traditional music, dancing and storytelling in the Garden’s authentic Japanese strolling garden. Learn about the art of origami or attend a traditional tea ceremony. See a real sumo wrestling demonstration.
- St. Louis Antique festival — 10 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday and 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Sunday, Belle Clair Fairgrounds & Expo Center, 200 South Belt East, Belleville, jewelry, porcelain, Dresden, pottery, advertising, clocks, statuary, primitives, dolls, toys, paintings, art deco, lighting, furniture, coins and more, $6.
- Free movie — “Marshall’s Miracle’ at 7:15 p.m. Saturday, Edwardsville City Park Bandstand, next to public library. It’s about a 12-year-old boy who is constantly bullied at school who pulls off a daring rescue to save an injured dog from an animal hoarder. Marshall will be at the park starting at 6:15 p.m. for a meet and greet. Stop by and get your photo taken with the star of the movie.
- St. Libory Schlambach Fest — Starts at 3 p.m. Sunday in St. Libory. Car show from 3-5 p.m. Dinner begins at 4. Venedy band will perform from 5-7 p.m. Quilt bingo begins at 6:30 p.m. The Turn-a-bouts will play after the Venedy band. Inflatables for the kids. Sponsored by St. Libory Commercial Club.
- 5k/10k group walk in O’Fallon — 8 a.m. Tuesday. Meet at YMCA, 284 N. Seven Hills Road at 7:45 a.m. to register. $3 fee. Bring water. Stroll through downtown O’Fallon, residential neighborhoods and past the Veteran’s Memorial. Information: Trudy at firstname.lastname@example.org or www.illinois-trekkers.org.
- Great Godfrey Maze — 6-10 p.m. Friday; all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Admission is $6 for adults, and $4 for children ages six to 11. Children 5 and younger get in free. Glazebrook Park in Godfrey. Theme for this year’s 7-acre corn maze is Harry Potter.
- Labor Day Weekend River Cruise — Saturday and Sunday on the Mississippi River. Sets sail from Grafton Harbor north. Guides will share the history of the river and its important geological features. The one-hour tour is on the 49-passenger River Rambler. The tour boat has an enclosed first level with air conditioning and and open top level. Tickets are $18 for adults and $9 for children.
- Belleville Labor Day Parade and Picnic — 10 a.m. South on First Street to Monroe, left on Monroe to South Illinois, left on South Illinois to West C, left on West C to Hough Park. Picnic for union members and their families begins at 11:30 at Hough Park.
- Live music — 3-7 p.m. and 8 p.m.-midnight Sunday, Kaskaskia Riverhouse, 1 Harbor Point Drive, New Athens. Boulderdash will play at 3; Stump Water at 8.
- St. Luke noon luncheon & card party —noon Tuesday, St. Luke’s Parish Hall, 226 N. Church St., Belleville, Cost: $7. Features cards, bingo or any game you choose, with prizes. Menu: pulled pork, German potato salad, applesauce, cake coffee, tea and water.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
- Barbecue — 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Turkey Hill Grange Hall, corner of Green Mount Road and Illinois 15 (near Eckert’s), Belleville. Pork steaks, pulled pork sandwich, brats, potato salad, baked beans, slaw, chunky applesauce, cucumber salad, brownies, cobbler, pie, cake, canned drinks. Kids meal. Carryout available.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Columbia American Legion Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Cut-up cod, farm-raised catfish fellets, breaded butterful shrimp, hot dogs. Sandwiches or plates with choice of two sides. Sampler plate with three kinds of fish, hush puppies and choice of two sides. Eat in or carryout. Open bar: $1 sodas and $2 long necks.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt.
- Fried Chicken — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Wednesday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. All you can eat. Adults $10; $8 seniors; $5 children (12 and younger). Sponsored by Millstadt VFW Post 22.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryout available. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 233, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-5528.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-624-5412. Auxiliary bake sale for charity.
- Summerfield Fish Fry — 5:30 p.m.-8 p.m. Friday, Summerfield Lions Club, 100 E. Park St., Summerfield. 618-934-3841 or 618-334-3177.
- Swansea Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-8 p.m. Friday-Saturday, Swansea Fish Stand, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, shrimp. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Choice of cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp, 618-667-8387.
- Sts. Constantine & Helen’s Evening in Athens — 4-8 p.m. Saturday, 405 Huntwood Road, Swansea. Greek dishes include chicken, gyros, lamb shanks, Greek salad and homemade pastries. Carryouts available, 618-277-0330.
- Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Tuesday. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout: 618-632-5222.
- Walton’s Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus, Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout: 618-632-5222.
- Euchre tournament —7 p.m. Friday, Smithton Senior Center, partner night. Everyone welcome.
- Flea market — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday, Parkview Nazarene Church, 50 Longacre Drive, Fairview Heights.
- Swansea Farmer’s Market — 11 a.m.-3 p.m. Thursday, Rural King parking lot, 2801 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Locally grown crops (tomatoes, peaches, cucumbers, and more), baked goods and crafts. Information: 618-978-8753 or swanseafarmersmarket
- Old Town Market — 7:30 a.m.-noon Saturday, West Main and First streets, in the parking lot of the St. Clair County Public Health Department, downtown Belleville. Locally grown produce, plants, honey, baked goods, summer sausage, apple butter, jams and jellies, homemade soaps, handmade jewelry and other crafts.
- “Damn Yankees” — 7:30 p.m. Thursday, Friday, Saturday and 2 p.,m. Sunday. Curtain’s Up Theater Company. Katherine Dunham Hall at Southern Ilinois University Edwardsville. Tickets are available online at curtainsuptheater.com or can be purchased at Edwardsville Library, Edwardsville, Happy Up, Inc., Edwardsville and Ashman’s Pharmacy, Collinsville. Do not contact SIU-E ticket office.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: email@example.com.
- Fax: 618-236-9773.
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2641.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact.