* MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) will meet from 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday at Hope Church, 200 Dapron Drive, Belleville. The group is for mothers of children up to age 6. Child care is provided.
* Next Chapter Divorced and Separated support group will meet from 7:30 to 9 p.m. Tuesday at the Diocesan Pastoral Center, 2620 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. There will be a discussion of issues that surface after a separation or divorce. Call 235-9601, ext. 146.
* An Alzheimer's Association support group will meet at 1:30 p.m. Thursday in the Senior Renewal area of the HealthPlex at St. Joseph's Hospital in Breese. There is no charge. For information, call 526-5486 or 526-5699.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
* The next meeting of the Karla Smith Foundation support group for the family and friends of a loved one who died by suicide will be from 7 to 8:30 p.m. Thursday in the Peace Chapel, 10101 W. Main St., Belleville. Sessions are sponsored by the Karla Smith Foundation. Call 628-3129 or visit www.KarlaSmithFoundation.org.
* The Alzheimer's Association's "In the Moment" support group will meet from 7 to 9 p.m. Thursday in the classroom at Oak Hill, 623 Hamacher, Waterloo. Pat Felix, Oak Hill staff development coordinator, and Julia Olszewski, Whispering Pines director, will present an interactive presentation on Alzheimer's disease. Refreshments will be served. Call 939-3488 ext. 1248.
ARTHRITIS SEMINARS: Associated Physicians Group will host two seminars on non-surgical treatment for arthritis of the knee. Seminars will be held:
* noon Wednesday, Red Apple Restaurant, 132 W. MacArthur Drive, Cottage Hills. Lunch is provided.
*8:30 a.m. Thursday, Nonna's Family Restaurant, 4508 W. Main St., Belleville. Breakfast will be provided.
For information or to make a reservation, call (866) 915-9022 or visit www.associatedphysicians.com.
DIABETES TESTS: Christian Hospital Diabetes Mobil Unit will offer free diabetes screening from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Friday at Main Street Community Center, 1003 N. Main St., Edwardsville. For information, call 656-0300.
BLOOD DRIVES: Central Illinois Community Blood Center blood drives will be held:
* 3-7 p.m. Monday, Main Street United Methodist Church, 1400 Main St., Alton. Drive is held in Wadlow Hall.
* 2-6 p.m. Tuesday, Frye Chriopractic & Laser Center, 2110 Troy Road, Edwardsville. Drive is held on the bloodmobile.
* 8:30 a.m.-1 p.m. Wednesday, small gym, East Alton Wood River High School, 777 N. Wood River Ave., Wood River.
* 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Friday, Central Illinois Community Blood Center, main floor, 5 Club Centre Court, Edwardsville.
DISABILITY MINISTRY: Joni and Friends Gateway will host their first church network meeting on disability ministry from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday at Shiloh United Methodist Church, 210 S. Main St., room 103, Shiloh. For information, call Jami Bossart at 977-4008 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
DIAPER WORKSHOP: A cloth diapering workshop will be offered at 10 a.m. Saturday at the Community of Christ Church in O'Fallon. The workshop is offered by LeAnn Kitchen, owner of Giggle Britches. The event is free. For information, visit www.giggle-britches.com.
INCONTINENCE DISCUSSION: Maggie Timmermann, physical therapist at St. Joseph's Hospital in Breese, will present information on female urinary incontinence at 10 a.m. Sept. 28 in the hospital HealthPlex conference room.
She will discuss how food and beverages can contribute to incontinence, the specifics of good bladder habits, details about the hospital Women's Continence program and pelvic pain.
For information or to register, call 526-5628 or e-mail email@example.com.
BENEFIT RUN: The annual Hills and Hollows Half Marathon and 5K run/walk will be held at 8 a.m. Saturday in Valmeyer.
The event is dedicated to the memory of Melvin J. Fisher who died Sept. 1, 2004, of cancer. He volunteered his time for 30 years to the Valmeyer Volunteer Fire Department and other organizations.
For information, visit www.hillsandhollows.org or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
JOB FAIR: The annual job fair, "Jobs Plus '09," will be held from 1 to 5 p.m. Wednesday at the Gateway Convention Center in Collinsville. Admission and parking are free.
Professional worskhops for job seekers will be offered and there will be onsite copying services and free interpretation services for the hearing impaired and the Spanish-speaking population.
For information, call 296-4596.
PARANORMAL SOCIETY: The Paranormal Society of Illinois is hosting an open house from 1 to 3:30 p.m. Saturday at the Morrison-Talbott Library in Waterloo.
The group will meet with and answer questions related to paranormal research. Admission is free. The library is located at 215 Park St., Waterloo. For information, visit www.psiinvestigations.com or call 767-7650.
RACIAL HARMONY: The Center for Racial Harmony will host a celebration honoring Phenomenal Women of Metropolitan St. Louis at 5 p.m. Oct. 25 at the restaurant of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. DeMazenod Drive, Belleville.
An auction will be held from 5 to 6:50 p.m. and dinner will be served at 7 p.m. There will be silent and live auctions.
Proceeds from the event will benefit the Center for Racial Harmony.
For information, call 234-0508 or e-mail email@example.com.
HOUSE RAFFLE: The winner of a $197,900 Fulford home or $125,000 in cash will be drawn at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Big Brothers Big Sisters raffle drawing at St. Clair Square in Fairview Heights.
Raffle tickets are sold at $100 each. Proceeds from the raffle benefit Big Brothers Big Sisters. For information or to purchase a raffle certificate, call 398-3162 or visit www.bbbsil.org.
HISTORY CALENDARS: The 2010 Historic Illinois calendar produced by the Illinois Historic Preservation Agency is being sold now.
The calendar features 12 full-color photographs of historic sites. Each photo carries a brief description of the site. Calendars are $7 each or $5 for five or more.
Among the photos in the calendar are the Pierre Menard Home in Ellis Grove, Vandalia Statehouse and Jarrot Mansion in Cahokia.
Calendars can be ordered by writing to Historic Illinois calendar, Illinois Historic Preservation AGency, 1 Old State Capitol Plaza, Springfield, IL 62701-1512. For information, call (217) 524-6045.
HELP THE ANIMALS: The "All Decked Out for Animals" event, a fall fundraiser and adoption event for the Riverbend Humane Society in Alton, will be held from 4 to 7 p.m. Sept. 27 at Thymes Past Restaurant, 2223 State St., Alton.
Silent auction items will be offered. The cost is $20 per person and there will be a cash bar. For information, call Hope for Animals Resale Shop at 254-2230.
RIVERBEND RIDERS: The Riverbend Riders, GWTA-IL-B motorcycle group, are having a membership drive. All riders and types of motorcycles are invited.
The chapter belongs to the Gold Wing Touring Association. Meetings are at 7 p.m. on the second Saturday of each month at the TA Truck Stop, exit 18 off I-55, Troy.
For information, call Jim Ulrich at 973-7566 or visit www.gwtailb.org or gwta.org. They will also be at the Belleville Honda Open House from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at 2100 N. Belt West, Belleville.