RSVP ORCHESTRA: The RSVP Orchestra will be in concert from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Shiloh Senior Center, 7 Park Drive, Shiloh.
The next performance is Oct. 14 at Silver Creek Mill in Mascoutah.
LAUGHTER WORKSHOPS: The Illinois Municipal Retirement Fund has teamed up with the University of Illinois Extension to offer "Looking for the Funny Side" workshops to retirees.
Workshops explore the benefits of laughter and offer tips for how seniors can bring more humor into their lives.
A workshop will be at 10 a.m. Tuesday at the Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. DeMazenod Drive, Belleville.
The session is led by Milly Kaiser.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: The Tax-Aide program sponsored by the IRS and AARP is in need of volunteers for the upcoming tax season. Volunteers are needed to assist low- to moderate-income individuals with their income tax forms.
Volunteers will attend a training session in January and serve a minimum of four hours per week from Feb. 1 to April 15, 2009.
Volunteers must be computer literate and have a working knowledge of existing IRS and Illinois tax laws.
For information, call Jerry Stone at 539-5385.
SENIOR POLICE ACADEMY: A senior police academy will run from 10 to 11 a.m. Tuesdays at Southwestern Illinois College's Programs and Services for Older Persons, 201 N. Church St., Belleville.
The academy is sponsored by St. Clair County Office on Aging.
A free lunch follows each session.
For reservations, call 234-4410, ext. 7081 or 7044.
RSVP COUNTRY WESTERN BAND: The RSVP Country Western Band will be in concert from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday at Grand Court, 201 S. Belt West Belleville.
The next performance is Oct. 22 in O'Fallon.
Area senior centers will sponsor the following activities this week:
* Belleville Senior Center, 150 E. D St., Belleville. Tuesday, Thursday: 10 a.m. cards, board games, crafts.
* Caseyville Township Senior Center, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Today: 10 a.m. table games, 1 p.m. line dancing; Tuesday: 8:30 a.m. card club, 9:30 a.m. square dancing, 12:30 p.m. bridge and canasta; Wednesday: 9-11 a.m. flu shots; Thursday: 8:30 a.m. card club, 10 a.m. pokeno, 12:30 p.m. bridge and canasta.
* Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. Monday: pinochle; Tuesday: TOPS; Wednesday: line dancing; Thursday: bridge.
* Mascoutah Senior Center, 227 N. Market, Mascoutah. Today-Tuesday, Thursday-Friday: 10 a.m. table games; today: 1 p.m. pinochle; Wednesday: 9 a.m.-noon health fair, 12;30 p.m. euchre; Thursday: noon birthdays; Friday: 9-11 a.m. rules of the road.
* Millstadt Township Senior Services, 102 S. Jefferson, Millstadt. Today: 11 a.m. exercise class, 12:30 p.m. table games; Tuesday: 9 a.m. pinochle tournament, 10 a.m. euchre card games; Wednesday: 9 a.m. card club meets; Thursday: 12:30 p.m. downtown shopping; Friday: 11 a.m. exercise class, 12:30 p.m. table games.
* Programs and Services for Older Persons, 201 N. Church St., Belleville. Tuesday: 8:30-11:30 a.m. contract bridge, noon table games; Wednesday: 1 p.m. line dance lessons for $1.50, 1-2 p.m. Take Off Pounds Sensibly meets; Friday: 12:30-4 p.m. canasta.
PLEASE NOTE: We cannot take items by telephone.
Deadline is noon Thursday for the following Monday. Send items to: Senior Briefs, News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, Ill. 62222-0427.