- Roots of Bluegrass Show — 7 p.m. Friday, Southwestern Illinois College Main Complex Theatre, Belleville. Featuring national “open” fiddle champion George Portz and Friends of Bluegrass. The Worthing10 Family Bluegrass Band will open. Tickets are $6; reserve tickets by calling Student Activities at 618-235-2700, ext. 5205. No tickets will be sold at the door.
- Lineage of David — 7 p.m. Friday, River of Life Family Church, 3401 Fosterburg Road, Alton. Featuring Lineage of David from Oklahoma and The Sprirituals. Presented by Southern Gospel 4 U and River of Life Family Church. Information: Tom and Sheron, 618-616-2815 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- New Memphis — 8:30 p.m.-12:30 a.m. Friday-Saturday, Sit “N” Bull Saloon, 31 S. Mill St., New Memphis. Free. Riverside Tavern Revival on Friday; Clusterpluck on Saturday.
- Butch Wax & The Hollywoods — 8-11:30 p.m. Saturday, Columbia Turner Hall, 211 E. Cherry St., Columbia. Relive the best of the ’50s, ’60s and ’70s rock’n’roll with Butch Wax & The Hollywoods. Presented by The Columbia Jaycees and Turners. Reservations: 618-281-4479.
- Homecoming Gospel Choir — 6 p.m. Sunday, First Baptist Church, 1111 E. U.S. Highway 50, O’Fallon. Featuring Southern Illinois’ Homecoming Gospel Choir, an 8-voice chor that sings southern gospel music in the Gaither style. Free. A love offering will be received.
- Young at Heart —3 p.m. Sunday, Lindenwood Auditorium, 2600 West Main St., Belleville. Featuring the Belleville Philharmonic Orchestra, local Irish band Celtica and the Philharmonic Youth Orchestra. Music includes the theme from “Downton Abbey,” “The Empire Strikes Back,” “Pirates of the Caribbean,” a Henry Mancini medley and Irish music. Advance tickets are $15 adult; $12 55-plus and active military; $7 students at www.bellevillephilharmonic.org. Tickets at the door are $18 adult; $15 55-plus and active military; $10 students.
- Square & Round Dance — 7-9:30 p.m. Friday, Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Dandy Dancers. Ozzie Pearl calling, Jacqui Landau cueing.
- Ballroom Dance — 7:30-10:30 p.m. Friday, Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St.. Music by Renditions.
- TOCO Herstory Weekend — Friday-Saturday, Governor French Academy, 219 W. Main St., Belleville. Celebration of women with food, entertainment, trivia, a boutique, raffle, silent auction and more. Friday night festivities feature TOCO Trivia Night. Saturday features Kim Massie and Solid Senders and the Making a Difference Awards. See story, page 1C.
- Optimist Club Fashion Show — 10 a.m. Saturday, Bellecourt Manor, 225 E. A St., Belleville. Fashions by Dillards and Peace by Piece. Sponsored by Belleville Optimist Club. Admission: $30. For advance reservations contact Afton Shambro, 618-234-9579. Tickets will also be available at the door on day of event. Tables of 8 are $240. Lunch will be served at noon. Silent auction and vendors.
- Kaskaskia Eagle Fest — 9 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Jerry F. Costello Lock & Dam, Modoc. Use spotting scopes to watch eagles. Meet some of the birds from the World Bird Sanctuary at 10 and11 a.m. and 1 p.m. Physics of Flight presentation will be given by the Natural History Education Company of the MidSouth at noon and 2 p.m. Tours of the lock and dam will be available and short interpretive walks will be given. Viewing of a nearby eagle nest with a mated pair of eagles will be available from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Lunch from a local restaurant will be available for $5. The event is free for all. Families and leash-trained dogs are welcom for the hike. Information/directions: 618-284-7160 or email@example.com.
- A Night of the Blues — 8 p.m. Saturday, Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Featuring singer/songwriter Albert Cummings, who has played with blues legends B.B. King, Johnny Winter and Buddy Guy. Tickets: $20. Buy tickets at www.wildeytheatre.com.
- Auto Racing Car Show — 11 a.m.-5 p.m. Saturday, Mascoutah Ag Building in Scheve Park, 901 Harnett St., Mascoutah. Judging at 1 p.m. for late models, modifieds, sportsman, pure stocks, and open class; awards at 4 p.m. Food and beverages available for purchase. No outside food or beverages allowed on park grounds. Sponsored by Mascoutah Improvement Association. Questions: Steve Heizer, 618-570-8639.
- Animal Rescue Fundraiser — 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturday, Four Muddy Paws, 2127 Illinois 157, Edwardsville. Host is Wash ’n’ Wag for Partners for Pets, a non-profit, no-kill animal rescue. Spa treatment for pets cost $15; includes shampoo, dry and emailed digital photograph. Free appetizers and wine for humans while they wait. Information: 618-540-7387, www.partnersforpetsil.org.
- Daddy Daughter Underwater Ball — 6-8:30 p.m. Saturday, Wolf Branch Elementary School, 125 Huntwood Road, Swansea. Reservations: Roberta LaSalvia, 618-334-3885, firstname.lastname@example.org. Cost: $25 per couple, $12 for additional daughters. Includes pasta dinner, dessert, dancing, scavenger hunt and keepsake photograph. Proceeds to benefit Gir Scout Troop 248.
- 5K/10K Group Walk — 10 a.m. Tuesday, National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 451 S. De Mazenod Drive, Belleville. Register at 9:45 a.m. $3 fee for all participants. Lunch available for purchase at the Shrine Restaurant. Information: Trudy, email@example.com of www.illinois-trekkers.org.
- $2 Tuesday Movie — 7 p.m. Tuesday, Wildey Theatre, 252 N. Main St., Edwardsville. Movie: “Caddyshack.” Tickets: $2, available 1 hour before showtime.
- Senior Art Competition — 6-8 p.m. (opening reception) Thursday. Exhibition will continue 10 a.m.-4 p.m. Friday; noon-4 p.m. Saturday-Sunday; 9 a.m.-4 p.m. Monday at Schmidt Art Center, SWIC Belleville Campus, 2500 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. More than 60 artists 60 and older will showcase their artistic abilities. Southwestern Illinois College and the St. Clair County Office on Aging are partnering with Gateway East Artists’ Guild and Art on the Square for this unique art competition and exhibition. Information: 618-234-410 ext. 7081.
- “The Other Family: Indentured Servants at Stephenson House” — 10 a.m.-3 p.m. Saturdays; noon-3 p.m. Sunday, Stephenson House, 409 S. Buchanan St., Edwardsville. Admission: $6 adults, $3 children (6-12), free (younger than 5). Learn about slavery in Illinois and the servants living at Stephenson house, read copies of runaway ads placed in area newspapers from 1817-1822 and participate in hands-on-activities. Information: 618-692-1818 or www.stephensonhouse.org.
- Aviston Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton St., Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, 1/4 fried chicken, sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-228-7311.
- Breese Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Breese Knights of Columbus, 480 N. Walnut St., Breese. Dine in or carry out. Fish and sides.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, Cajun cut-ups, crab cakes, sides, desserts. Information: 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, Illinois 157, Collinsville. Eat in or carry out. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. Senior plate starting at $4.99. 618-345-1492.
- Fairview Heights Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road. Walton’s Fish Fry. Serving jack salmon and wild-caught grilled salmon. Homemade desserts. Carryouts: 618-632-5222.
- Freeburg Fish Bake & Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 N. Alton St., Freeburg. Baked cod, fried cod loins (plate, sandwich or pound), shrimp, grilled cheese, spaghetti, baked potato, green beans, onion rings, French fries, homemade slaw, mac and cheese, dessert, refreshments. Sponsored by the Support Committee. Eat in or carry out. 618-539-4720.
- Granite City Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, St. Elizabeth Church, Granite City. Cod, catfish, pollock, jack salmon, shrimp. Eat in or carry out.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carry out. 618-654-6367.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carry out. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt.
- Millstadt Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt Sportsmen’s Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane, Millstadt. Cod, shrimp, walleye, desserts. Carry-outs available at 618-476-1891.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Sponsored by KC and Ladies Auxiliary. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Sponsored by Sgt. Charles A. Fricke VFW Post 805 and Ladies Auxiliary. Fried and grilled fish and chicken, homemade sides and desserts. Children’s menu. To-go orders delivered to car. 618-624-2651.
- O’Fallon Fish & Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. every Friday, O’Fallon American Legion, 109 N. Penn, O’Fallon. Carryouts available. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, American Legion Post 233, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. Eat in or carry out. 618-243-5528.
- Quail Club Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp, wings, burgers, sides, desserts. Carryouts available. No phone orders.
- St. Henry Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Monsignor Voss Center, 5305 W. Main St., Belleville. Sponsored by St. Henry Women’s and Men’s organizations. Codfish (sandwich, plate or pound), baked salmon and soup, slaw, spaghetti, french fries, onion rings, cheese pizza. Carryouts available.
- St. Mary’s Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, St. Mary Parish, basement, 1706 W. Main St., Belleville. Dine in or carry out. Cod or walleye, (sandwich, plate or by the pound), potato salad, French fries, onion rings, spaghetti, slaw, dessert.
- Scott VFW Fish Fry — 5-9 p.m. Friday, Scott VFW Post 4183, Belleville. Carryouts available. Order ahead: 618-746-9801. Lenten special: all-you-can-eat swai fish only, 3-6 p.m.; no carryouts.
- Scottish Rite Fish Fry — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday, Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. By the pound, plate, sandwich. Contact 618-235-3350.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Sponsored by Eagles No. 545. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken strip plates. Sides. Eat in or carry out. 618-624-5412. Auxiliary bake sale for charity.
How to send your event
- Deadline: noon Monday. What’s Happening runs events happening from Thursday though the next Wednesday in Thursday’s Lifestyle section.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fax: 618-236-9773
- Mail: What’s Happening, c/o Lifestyle, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427.
- Information: call 618-239-2537.
- Please include: Event, time, date, location, admission cost and special features. Also, a daytime phone number we can contact if we need more information.