What’s Happening for Aug. 3-10
Noon Thursday, July 27, was the deadline to appear in today’s What’s Happening. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email is preferred: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
▪ 2nd Annual Masonic Youth Showcase — 1 p.m. Sunday. Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies Valley of Southern Illinois, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Learn about Job’s Daughters International, DeMolay International and The International Order of the Rainbow Girls. Special ceremonies with light refreshments to follow. For youths aged 10-20 years. Free and open to the public.
• Back to School Bash: CHADD support group — 5 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 9. ‘We Rock the Spectrum’ Kids Gym, 1015 Century Drive, Edwardsville. More than 15 million people are affected by Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder. Bring your children to play supervised, while parents learn more about AD/HD and prepare for the upcoming school year. 618-406-0842
▪ Archaeology Day at Cahokia Mounds — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. Cahokia Mounds State Historic Site, Collinsville. Learn about archaeology from excavations to analyzing artifacts. Sponsored by Cahokia Archaeological Society and Museum Society with cooperation from Cahokia Mounds staff and volunteers and the Powell Archaeological Research Center. No admission fee. Suggested donation $7 adults, $5 seniors, $2 students and $15 for families. 618-346-5160 or www.cahokiamounds.org.
▪ Ballroom Dance — 7:30-10:30 p.m. Saturday. Belleville/Swansea Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St. Music by: “The Casuals.”
▪ Belleville’s Old Town Farmer’s Market — 7:30 a.m. to noon Saturday. First block of South Charles, Belleville. Locally grown veggies, fruit, pasture raised beef, plants and crafts. Senior coupons now available.
▪ The Big Latch On: a breastfeeding event — Registration 10 a.m. Event runs 10:30 a.m. to noon. Saturday. Melvin Price Park, 1454 Caseyville Ave., Swansea. Free to all participants. Breastfeeding women and children latch on for one minute at a set time and are counted toward a world-wide participation goal.
▪ ‘Come as You Are’ Tai Chi — 5 p.m. Wednesday. Ever and Anon Park, corner of East Main and Mascoutah Ave., Belleville. Free one-hour class for all ages and skill levels. Sponsored by the Belleville Heritage Society.
▪ Cruise Night at Sparta Dairy Queen — 5-9 p.m. Saturday. 100 W. Jackson St., Sparta. Free event. Employee choice award. Door prizes to participants. D.J. music.
▪ Edwardsville High School Science Club book fair — 4 p.m. Saturday. Barnes & Noble, 6510 N. Illinois St., Fairview Heights. Percentage of every sale will go to Edwardsville High School. Ask for voucher in-store. Or shop online at www.bn.com/bookfairs and enter Bookfair ID 12175790 at checkout.
▪ Free movies in City Park — 8:15 p.m. Saturday. City Park Bandstand, Edwardsville. Showing, “The Secret Life of Pets.” Cosponsored by TheBANK of Edwardsville. www.cityofedwardsville.com.
▪ Heartlinks Grief Center of Family Hospice support group — 6:30-8 p.m. Tuesday. Family Hospice office, 5110 W. Main St., Belleville. Heartlinks hosts a monthly grief support group for parents and adult siblings grieving the death of a child or sibling due to addiction. 618-277-1800.
• Iris Sale — 8 a.m.-noon Saturday. Caseyville Township Hall, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Presented by the Mid-Illinois Iris Society. Iris plants from members’ gardens usually priced at $5 or less.
▪ Jessie White’s Office Mobile Unit — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 9. SWIC, 201 N. Church St., Belleville. Drivers may renew their driver’s license, vehicle registration renewal sticker, obtain duplicate or corrected license or an Illinois identification card. Information: 217-782-7044 or www.cyberdriveillinois.com.
▪ Millstadt Township Food Drive for the Millstadt Food Pantry — 8 a.m. to noon, Saturday. Road District Building, 18 E. Harrison St., Millstadt.
▪ Parkview Church Flea Market — 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday. Parkview Church, 50 Longacre Drive, Fairview Heights. $10 a booth. To reserve: 618-234-5941.
▪ Rummage/Bake Sale — 8 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday-Friday, Aug. 3-4, 8 a.m. to noon Saturday. New Baden United Methodist Church, 107 W. Hanover St. $5 per brown bag on Saturday.
▪ Square and Round Dance — 7-9:30 p.m. Friday. Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsor: Dandy Dancers. Theme: Ice Cream Floats. Bud Cutter calling. Jacqui Landau cueing. For information: Eunice Peterson, 618-660-6030.
• St. Patrick’s Church-Tipton annual chicken dinner and auction — Sunday. 5675 LL Road, Waterloo. Mass at 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. Chicken dinner from 11 a.m.-4 p.m. Carryouts available. Oral auction begins at noon and quilt auction at 2 p.m.
▪ Swansea Farmer’s Market — 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 3. Rural King parking lot, 2801 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Senior coupons are in. Locally grown crops, fruits, vegetables and crafts can be found here.
▪ Touchette Regional Hospital: Keep Healthy Event — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. Centreville City Hall gym, 5800 Bond Ave., Centreville. Health screenings with insurance and photo ID, school supplies while supplies last, vendor fair, activities, games and prizes. Free haircuts for boys. 618-332-6123.
▪ Traveling through Time — 9 a.m. to noon Saturday. St. Clair County Historical Society, 701 E. Washington, Belleville. How to get there from here was not always an easy thing in the past. Hands-on activities, displays and more. See Facebook page for more info.
• “The Way We Worked the Fields” — 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Monroe County History Museum, 724 Elaine Drive, Waterloo. Presented by Kevin Hirsch. Learn about farming practices and every day farm life.
▪ “What’s a New Normal?” — 3-4:30 p.m. Saturday. National Shrine of Our Lady of the Snows, 442 S. De Mazenod Drive, Belleville. Struggles bring change whether it is a change we desire or not. Find guidance from the scriptures. Fee $10. Register: snows.org/programs or 618-397-6700, ext. 6270.
• Yoga Night — 4:30-5:30 p.m. Monday. 4204 Banquet and Distribution Center, 6435 W. Main St., Belleville. Admission $10, cash only. Yoga mats not provided, please bring your own. 618-233-2015.
▪ Zoar UCC Church Picnic — 4-7 p.m. Saturday. 9103 “D” Road, Columbia. BBQ dinners and desserts served. Featuring National “Open” Fiddle Champion George Portz and Friends of Bluegrass. Free admission. Bring lawn chairs or blankets.
▪ Ice cream social — 6-8 p.m. Friday. Moody Park, Fairview Heights. Free ice cream. Music from Babaloo.
▪ Mascoutah homecoming — Friday-Sunday, Scheve Park, 6th Street and Harnett Street, Mascoutah. Carnival ride, music, parades at 5 p.m. on Saturday and Sunday. mascoutahhomecoming.org.
▪ St. Anthony’s annual church picnic and chicken dinner — 4-8 p.m. Saturday. Parish grounds, Lively Grove on Route 153, 4 miles south of Route 15. Chicken dinners for sale. Bingo for quilts and cash at 6:30 p.m. Music by: “Polka Connections.” Polka Mass at 4 p.m. Mass at 6 p.m.
▪ St. James chicken dinner and picnic — 3 p.m. Saturday, Stephen Freund Parish Center, 419 W. Madison, Millstadt. Chicken dinners. Polka mass at 4 p.m. Visit with Fredbird at 6 p.m. Quilt/cash bingo, booths, country store, raffles, attendance prizes.
▪ St. Francis of Assisi Church picnic — 3:30-11:30 p.m. Saturday. 2nd Street and Clinton, Aviston. Fried chicken, roast beef and homemade dressing dinner with all the trimmings served from 3:30-7:30 p.m. Quilt bingo starts at 6:30 p.m. Raffles, baskets, beverages, games of chance. Mass at 4 p.m. 618-228-7219 or stfrancisav.org.
▪ Belleville ‘Peace Festival’ — 1-5 p.m. Saturday. 19 Public Square, Belleville. This event features crafts and vendors. Performers include “Heir to the Throne,” “Fiercely MC,” “Harambee” from Belleville West and the Lancer Dancers from Belleville East. The emcee for the festival is Ms. Dieta Pepsi.
▪ Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
▪ BBQ Thursday — 4-7 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 3. Turkey Hill Grange, 1375 E. State Route 15, Belleville. Takeout or eat in pork steak or pulled pork sandwich dinner with sides. Brats and homemade desserts.
▪ Caseyville Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
▪ Collinsville Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
▪ Edwardsville Masonic Lodge Breakfast — 7-11 a.m. Saturday. Edwardsville Masonic Lodge, 90 Kriege Farm Road, Glen Carbon. Eat in or carry out. Adults $7. Children $3. 618-656-7137.
▪ Evening in Athens — 4-8 p.m. Saturday. Sts. Constantine and Helen, 405 Huntwood Road, Swansea. Greek food, homemade pastries. Carry outs available. 618-277-0330.
▪ Highland Fish Fry — 4-7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
▪ Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
▪ Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m.-2 p.m., 4-8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
▪ O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4-8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
▪ Okawville Fish & Chicken Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
▪ Quail Club Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday. Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp, wings, burgers, sides and desserts. Carryouts available. No phone orders.
▪ Shiloh Fish Fry — 5-8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
▪ Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
▪ Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4-7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
▪ Walton’s Chicken Dinner — 4-7 p.m. Tuesday. Knights of Columbus, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Walton’s Fish Fry — 3-8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus, Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Homemade desserts. Carryout, 618-632-5222.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
▪ Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
▪ Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
▪ Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Partner night. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main, Smithton. 618-233-3370.
• “Annie Get Your Gun”— 8 p.m. Thursday-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday. Breese North Side Park, 1000 N. Main St., Breese. A classic musical. General admission tickets can be purchased at the park. Tickets $12. Students, seniors and active military: $10. ccshowcase.com/tickets.
▪ Bill Cherry’s Ultimate Tribute to Elvis — Doors open 7 p.m. Show at 8 p.m. Saturday. Belle Clair Fairgrounds Park, 200 S. Belt East, Belleville. For ticket information: 314-640-8598.
▪ Carondelet Concerts in the Park — 5:30-8 p.m. Sunday. Carondelet Park, 3900 Holly Hills, St. Louis. “Memories of Elvis.” www.carondeletliving.com.
▪ “A Christmas Story: The Musical” — 7:30 p.m. Thursday-Saturday. Hettenhausen Center for the Arts, McKendree University, Lebanon. Based on the movie classic: “A Christmas Story.” Presented by The Goshen Theatre Project. Adults $15. Children $10. Seniors $12.50. Tickets: www.showtix4u.com. Information: www.goshentheatreproject.org.
▪ Danita Mumphard tribute to Whiteney Houston — 7 p.m. Saturday. Jacoby Arts Center, 627 Broadway, Alton. Tickets $12 in advance, $15 at door. www.jacobyartscenter.org or 618-462-5222.
▪ Dixie Chicks: In Concert — 7 p.m. Monday. AMC Edwardsville 12, 6633 Center Grove Road, Edwardsville. See a film of the sold-out Dixie Chicks tour. www.fathomevents.com or at theater box office.
▪ Edwardsville Municipal Band — 8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 3. City Park, 112 S. Buchanan St., Edwardsville. Free concert. www.edwband.com.
▪ St. Louis Philharmonic Orchestra: Annual Pops Concert — 8 p.m. Friday. Edgar M. Queeny Park, Greensfelder Recreation Complex, 550 Weidman Road, St. Louis. $15 for gallery seats and $30 for table seats. Program to include music from Duke Ellington, Henry Mancini, George Gershwin, Meredith Wilson and more. 314-421-3600 or www.stlphilharmonic.org.
▪ St. Paul UCC Chamber Choir concert — 3 p.m. Sunday. St. Paul UCC, 115 W. B St., Belleville. Free concert. The choir recently toured Germany and the Czech Republic.
Worth the Drive
▪ Grafton’s Music in the Park — 7-9 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 3. The Grove Memorial Park, Market St., Grafton. Bring your lawn chair for a free concert. Performer: “Hill Williams.” 50/50 raffle to benefit Jersey Community High School bands. 618-535-9922.
▪ Summer Music Series — 6-8 p.m. Thursday, Aug. 3. Library Park, 400 N. State St., Litchfield. Featuring: “Joshua Stanley.” www.visitlitchfield.com.