Midwest Wingfest, a food and music festival organized to raise money for disabled veterans and first responders, will run from noon to 11 p.m. Saturday on the east parking lot of the St. Clair Square mall in Fairview Heights. This event features a wing eating contest for adults and teens, a 5K “Chicken” run, car cruise and a children’s area.
Wingfest is free, but there is a $10 wristband fee for attendees who want to drink alcoholic beverages (must be 21 or older). The wristband comes with two regular size beers or one commemorative cup.
Saturday, Sept. 2
▪ 7 a.m. — “Chicken” run: The course will be a double loop of the shopping center. Come dressed in your best chicken attire or costume to participate in the 5K. Best dressed awards will be given.
▪ Noon to 4 p.m. — Car cruise: The cruise will be located on the south side of the event. A “Dash Plaque” will be handed out to the first 100 cars that arrive.
▪ 3 p.m. — Wing Eating Contest: There will be two wing eating contests — adults and teens. For this event, teens are ages 12 to 17. There will be a limit of 12 participants per contest. You may sign up at the Souvenir Booth. Men will eat 25 wings, women consume 20 wings, and teens eat 18 wings. Prizes: Men and Women — 1st place: $100 and trophy; 2nd place: $50; and 3rd place: $25. Teens — 1st place: $75 and trophy; 2nd place: $25; and 3rd place: $10. Registration forms for the wing eating contest are online. The fee is $15 for adults and $10 for teens.
▪ 4 p.m. — Best Wing Awards: Vendors will compete for “Best Gourmet Wing,” “Best Hot Wing” and “Best Overall Wing” for the festival.
▪ Steel Creek, a country rock and blues band, will perform after the Wing Awards.
▪ Well Hungarians will perform live music to close out the festival.
For more information, see the event’s website: midwestwingfest.com.