The League of Women Voters of the Edwardsville area celebrated its anniversary and President’s Day with a trivia night Feb. 21.
No wonder themes included red, white and blue, U.S. presidents and mighty women in American history.
The League, a nonpartisan political organization, encourages folks to participate in government. It shares information about elections and the voting process and advocates for or against policies in the public interest.
Anyone interested in the League of Women Voters of the Edwardsville area can contact Lorraine Krusa at email@example.com.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
Round 1. Red, white & blue
1. What classic Civil War novel was written by Stephen Crane?
2. What is the name of the current Illinois Secretary of State?
3. Name a song written and recorded by Ray Orbison, that was later also recorded by Linda Ronstadt?
Round 2. U.S. presidents
4. Who was the first president born in a hospital?
5. How many presidents have been assassinated while in office?
Round 3. Food
6. What ice cream flavor did Baskin-Robbins create in 1969 to commemorate the first manned moon landing?
7. Which crustacean was considered a food of last resort and used a bean fertilizer and fish bait in colonial America?
Round 4. U.S. geography
8. In what state are the Flint Hills located?
9. Where does the Mississippi start?
10. Name the place where Lewis and Clark began their trip.
Round 5. Sports
11. What was Oscar Taveras’ uniform number when he played for the Cardinals?
12. How many horses have one the Triple Crown?
Round 6. American history
13. How many amendments does the Constitution have?
14. What amendment gave women the right to vote?
15. Name the architect who designed the overall plan for Washington, D.C.
Round 7. Mighty women
16. Who did Pocahontas marry?
17. Who was the first African-American Congresswoman?
18. Who was the first woman appointed to the Supreme Court?
Round 8. Music & the arts
19. Who is credited with describing the 1920s as the “Jazz Age”?
20. What ground-breaking American musical was based on the book, “ Green Grow the Lilacs”?
1. “Red Badge of Courage”
2. Jesse White
4. Jimmy Carter
5. Four. Abraham Lincoln, James Garfield, William McKinley and John F. Kennedy
6. Lunar cheesecake
9. Lake Alaska, Minn.
10. Wood River
15. Pierre L’Enfant
16. John Rolfe
17. Shirley Chisholm.
18. Sandra Day O’Connor
19. F. Scott Fitzgerald