What’s Happening for March 1
Noon Thursday, Feb. 22, was the deadline to appear in today’s calendar. We must receive your event in writing with a contact phone number for questions. Due to the large number of submissions, non-profit events are run only one time in print, will be edited and appear in the week before the event date.
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Mail to: Lifestyle, Belleville News-Democrat, 120 S. Illinois St., P.O. Box 427, Belleville, IL 62222-0427. Questions, call Heidi Wiechert at 618-239-2500.
- Screening Clinic for children with bone, muscle or joint problems — 9 to 11 a.m. Saturday. Anderson Hospital, 6800 Illinois Route 162, Maryville. Walk ins welcome. Sponsored by the Troy and Edwardsville Shrine Club of the Ainad Shriners. Information: 618-791-8986.
- Fire Station One: Blood Drive — 2 to 7 p.m. Monday. 315 Carlyle Ave., Belleville. Appointment: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org, sponsor code: EngineHouse1.
- Memorial Hospital Belleville: Blood Drive — 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Tuesday. 4500 Memorial Drive, Belleville. Appointment: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org, sponsor code: MemorialBelleville.
- Caseyville Moose: Blood Drive — 3 to 7 p.m. Tuesday. 8550 Bunkum Road, Caseyville. Appointment: 800-733-2767 or redcrossblood.org, sponsor code: CaseyvilleMoose.
- Children’s Dyslexia Center of Southern Illinois: Book Sale — 4:30-7:30 p.m. Friday. Scottish Rite Building, 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Most books $2 or less. Paperbacks $1. Proceeds benefit Children’s Dyslexia Center.
- Square Dance — 7 to 9:30 p.m. Friday. Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsor: Dandy Dancers. Theme: Pie Night. Ozzie Pearl calling. The Tevlins cueing.
- Ballroom Dance — 7:30 to 10:30 p.m. Saturday. Moose Lodge, 2425 N. Illinois St., Swansea. Music by The Renditions.
- Evolution Elite Basketball Club tryouts — Registration 2:30 p.m. Tryouts 3 to 5 p.m. Sunday. Belleville East High School, 2555 West Blvd., Belleville. For high school boys. Evolution Elite Basketball Club is non-profit and seeking volunteer coaches and trainers. For further information: email@example.com.
Lenten Fish Fries
- Aviston Legion Fish & Chicken Fry — 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. American Legion Post 1239, 601 S. Clinton, Aviston. Cod, catfish, shrimp, chicken strips, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-228-7311 or www.avistonlegion.com.
- Belleville Fish Fry — 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. 1549 Frank Scott Parkway West, Belleville. Fish by the pound, plate, sandwich. Sponsored by the Scottish Rite Masonic Bodies.
- Caseyville Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Caseyville VFW Post 1117, 415 N. Long, Caseyville. Fish plates, desserts, sandwiches, burgers and more. Bingo at 7 p.m.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville VFW Post 5691, 1234 Vandalia, Collinsville. Eat-in or carryout. Cod, catfish fillets, tilapia, sides.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 3 to 8 p.m. Friday, Collinsville American Legion, 1022 Vandalia St., Collinsville. North Atlantic cod, whole catfish, sides, desserts. 618-345-2508.
- Collinsville Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 1 Columbus Plaza, Collinsville. Eat in or carryout. Fried/baked cod, catfish, sides. 618-345-1492.
- East Carondelet Fish Fry — 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Friday in Lent. Community Center, 823 State St., East Carondelet. Cod cutups, shrimp and sides. Carryouts available. 618-286-8601.
- Ellis Grove Volunteer Fire Department Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Ellis Grove Volunteer Fire Department, 501 Eggemeyer Plaza, Ellis Grove. All-you-can-eat fish, catfish, cod and shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-859-3473.
- Fairview Heights Elks Lodge Fish Fry — 5:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. 9480 Old Lincoln Trail, Fairview Heights.
- Fish Fry Friday — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Millstadt Sportsmen’s Club, 4915 Schmidt Lane, Millstadt. Cod, shrimp, walleye, salmon patties, baked fish, desserts. Carryouts available. 618-476-1891.
- Fish Fry Fridays — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Freedom Farm, 6355 Hilgard Memorial Drive, Freeburg. Sponsored by American Legion Post 58. Cod and walleye available by sandwich or plate. Homemade pizza also available. 618-660-6670.
- Friends of the Cougars: Fish Fry 2018 — 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. Albers American Legion Hall, 600 N. Bertha, Albers. Proceeds of fish fries used to support the Cougars Athletic programs at Albers and Damiansville Elementary Schools. Dine in or carryout. 618-248-5505.
- Germantown Legion Fish Fry — 4:30-7 p.m. Friday. 1208 Sycamore St., Germantown. Cod, catfish, whitefish, shrimp. Sides. All proceeds for youth. 618-523-4282.
- Highland Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 5694, 1900 VFW Road, Highland. Eat in or carryout. 618-654-6367.
- Holy Cross Lenten Fish Fry — 4:30 to 7 p.m. Friday. Holy Cross Lutheran Church, 460 Church St., Livingston. Cod tails, Alaskan white fish, catfish fillets or shrimp. Carry outs available. 618-637-2146.
- Holy Family Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Holy Family Church, 2606 Washington Ave., Granite City. Cod, walleye, shrimp. Sides. Eat in or dine out.
- Holy Trinity Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday. Holy Trinity Catholic Church, 505 Fountains Parkway, Fairview Heights.
- Lebanon St. Joseph Catholic Church — 5 to 7 p.m. Friday. Church Hall, 901 N. Alton St., Lebanon. Cod, catfish, shrimp, sides, desserts. Dine in or carry out. No phone orders.
- Maryville Knights of Columbus Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. Mother of Perpetual Help Catholic Church Parish Center, 200 N. Lange Ave., Maryville. Shrimp, cod, hot dogs, desserts. 618-344-6464.
- Mascoutah Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, Mascoutah VFW Post 7682, 620 Donaphan St., Mascoutah. Dine in or carryout. 618-566-2288.
- Millstadt Fish Fry and Jam Session — 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Millstadt VFW Post, 200 Veterans Drive, Millstadt. 618-476-1180.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, Knights of Columbus Hall, 402 E. U.S. 50, O’Fallon. Cod and bluegill, burgers, hot dogs, sides. Eat in or carryout. 618-632-6229.
- O’Fallon Fish Fry — 4 to 8 p.m. Friday, VFW Post 805, 221 W. First St., O’Fallon. Fried and grilled fish, chicken, sides and desserts. Carryouts. 618-624-2651.
- O'Fallon Fish Fry — 4:30-8 p.m. Friday. American Legion, 109 N. Penn St., O'Fallon. Tilapia, catfish, shrimp, chicken, burgers and sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-632-8879.
- Okawville Fish & Chicken Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, 205 N. Hanover St., Okawville. American Legion Post No. 233. Eat in or carryout. 618-243-6545.
- Quail Club Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. Quail Club, 8303 Concordia Church Road, Belleville. Cod, walleye, shrimp and more. Sides and desserts. Carryouts available. No phone orders.
- Shiloh Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday, 100 Eagle Drive, Shiloh. Cod, walleye, shrimp, chicken wings. Eat in or carryout. Auxiliary bake sale for charity. 618-624-5412.
- Smithton Turner Society Fish Fry — 5 to 8 p.m. Friday. Smithton Turner Hall, 115 N. Julia Drive, Smithton. Fried cod and beer specials. Dine in or carry out. Homemade baked goodies. 618-277-9690. Menu online: www.smithtonturnerhall.com.
- St. Agatha Parish Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. 207 S. Market St., New Athens. Cod, shrimp, meatless spaghetti, sides. Eat in or carry outs available. 618-475-3579.
- St. Elizabeth Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. St. Elizabeth Church, 2300 Pontoon Road, Granite City. Cod, catfish, pollock, jack salmon, shrimp. Eat in or carry out.
- St. Henry Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. 5303 W. Main, Belleville. Cod, salmon, shrimp, sides. Dine in or carry out. 618-233-2423.
- St. Joseph Church Fish Bake and Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. St. Joseph’s Parish Center, 6 N. Alton St., Freeburg. Baked and fried cod, shrimp, sides, desserts. Sponsored by the Support Committee. Eat in or carryout. 618-539-4720.
- St. Mary Parish Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. 1706 W. Main St., Belleville. Serves fried cod and walleye by sandwich, plate or pound. Sides include fries, onion rings, spaghetti and more. Drinks and desserts offered. Dine in and carryout options.
- St. Rose Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday. St. Rose park location, 17633 St. Rose Road, Breese. Cod fish, shrimp, sides.
- St. Teresa Men’s Club Fish Fry — 4 to 7:30 p.m. Friday. St. Teresa, 1108 Lebanon Ave., Belleville. Fish by the sandwich or pound. Shrimp, spaghetti, sides and homemade desserts.
- Swansea Fish Stand — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 216 Service St., Swansea. Cod, walleye, catfish, shrimp and more. Saturday: fried chicken. 618-222-7171.
- Troy VFW Fish Fry — 4 to 7 p.m. Friday, Troy VFW Post 976 and Auxiliary, 123-A W. Market St., Troy. Cod, catfish, jack salmon, baked fish, chicken strips, shrimp. Dine in or carry out. 618-667-8387.
- Waterloo Sportsman’s Club Fish Fry — 4 to 8:30 p.m. Friday. 4903 Sportsman Road, Waterloo. 618-458-9927.
- Waterloo VFW Fish Fry — 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. Friday. Metzger Crook Post 6504, 406 Veterans Drive, Waterloo. Sold by the pound, sandwich or plate. Cod, catfish, walleye, salmon and shrimp. Carryouts. 618-939-7999.
- Belleville Chapter of PFLAG — 6:30 p.m. Thursday, March 1. St. Paul United Church of Christ, 115 West B St., Belleville. The film "Gay Youth" will be shown. Refreshments and fellowship to follow. Meetings are free and open to the public. Information: 618-977-5078 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Belleville Unit of Church Women United — 11:30 a.m. Friday. Union United Methodist Church, 721 E. Main St., Belleville. Program: "World Day of Prayer" followed by noon meal. Cost $6. Reservations: Marge Oppedal, 618-235-7343 or Grace Moon, 618-234-2688.
- Optimist Club of Belleville — Noon Tuesday. Bellecourt Place, 120 N. Jackson St., Belleville. Guests always welcome. Speaker: Carol Bartle. Program: "Getting to Know M.E."
- Gateway East Artists Guild — 6 p.m. Wednesday, March 7. PSOP/SWIC building, 201 N. Church St., Belleville. Susan Bostwick, a St. Louis ceramics artist, will share her narrative clay work. Meeting is open to the public. www.geag.net.
- St. Clair County Garden Club — 11:30 a.m. Tuesday. Crehan's, 5500 N. Belt West, Belleville. Luncheon is $13. Annual meeting and installation of officers. Reservations required before Friday, March 2: Dianna McCoy, 618-791-2246.
- St. Clair County Genealogical Society meeting — 7 p.m. Thursday, March 1. St. Luke's Parish Hall, 226 N. Church St., Belleville. Frank Klostermann discusses trip to "German Villages: Westkirchen, Ennigerloh, and Horste." Lecture free and open to the public. www.stclair-ilgs.org.
- Polish American Ladies Society — 11:30 a.m. Tuesday. Caseyville Township Building, 10001 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Theme: "When Irish Eyes are Smiling." Brown bag lunch with desserts and drinks provided by March hostesses. Food items or monetary donation will be collected for the food pantry.
- O'Fallon Garden Club — Social hour 6 p.m., meeting 6:30 p.m. Tuesday. Rock Springs Park, 1428 E. 3rd St., O'Fallon. Program: Mary Densmore of New Roots Urban Farm, St. Louis. Free event and open to the public. www.ofallongardenclub.com.
- International Women's Organization — 7 p.m. Tuesday. Community Room, Eden Village, 200 S. Station Road, Glen Carbon. Speaker: Barbara Stanford. Program: Around the world with women presidents and prime ministers. Everyone welcome. Information: Esther, 618-406-0259.
- St. Luke Perpetual Help Sodality: Noon luncheon and card party — Noon Tuesday. St. Luke's Parish Hall, 226 N. Church St., Belleville. Cost $8. No reservations required. Features: cards, bingo or any game you choose. Menu: salibury steak, sides and drinks. Bring canned items for the Community Interfaith Food Pantry.
- L.I.F.T. Club luncheon — 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, March 7. 4204 Main Street Brewing Co. 6435 W. Main St., Belleville. Cost $14. Entertainment: Barbara Kaye. Information: 618-233-9818.
- Granite City Senior Social Club bingo — Doors open 12:30 p.m. Bingo at 1:30 p.m. Sunday. Granite City Township Hall, 2060 Delmar Ave., Granite City. $1 admission, 4 cards for $1. 618-444-6771.
- Wurstmarkt — 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Sunday. Notre Dame Academy, campus cafe, 200 S. Second St., Belleville. Pork sausage meal with sides, dessert and drink. All-you-can-eat dine in. Carryouts available. Adults $10, first responders with badge or ID $8, children $5, under 5 free. Volunteers led by Knights of Columbus Council of the Cathedral of St. Peter.
- O'Fallon Kiwanis Club: Spaghetti Dinner — 4:30 to 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Knights of Columbus Hall, 5420 Old Collinsville Road, Fairview Heights. Adults $10, kids $5, family $25. Spaghetti, sides, dessert, drink. Takeouts available.
- All-You-Can-Eat pancake and sausage breakfast — 8 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Sunday. St. Augustine Parish Hall, 1900 W. Belle, Belleville. Sponsored by St. Augustine Boy Scout Troop 24. Adults $7, children $4, 4 and under free. No family pays more than $25.
- Evening in Athens — 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday. STS. Constantine Helen Greek Orthodox Church, 405 Huntwood Road, Swansea. Authentic Greek food and desserts. Carry outs available. 618-277-0330.
- New Athens Knights of Columbus: Candlelight Steak Dinner — 4:30 to 8 p.m. Saturday. St. Agatha's Parish Center, 205 S. Market St., New Athens. Menu: grilled ribeye, jumbo shrimp or marinated chicken breast, sides. Burgers also available. Everyone welcome.
- Law Enforcement Torch Run: Polar Plunge — 6:15 p.m. Friday, March 9. 6435 W. Main St., Belleville. Splash into chilly waters for Special Olympics Illinois. www.plungeillinois.com or 618-654-6680.
- Lucky Leprechaun 5K walk/run — 9 to 10:30 a.m. Saturday, March 17. Union United Methodist Church, 721 E. Main St., Belleville. $25 adult, $15 child. Presented by Belleville Main Street. Information or register: www.bellevillemainstreet.net.
- Jazz at the B'Eastro — 6 p.m. social, 7 p.m. dinner. Saturday, March 17. Bellecourt Manor, 225 East A St., Belleville. Belleville East Band and Orchestra Parents' annual fundraiser to support music and the arts in local schools. For tickets: Becky McGrady, 618-581-5929 or email@example.com.
- "It's a Jolly Holiday of Trivia with Hard Road Theatre" — Doors open 6:30 p.m. Trivia 7 p.m. Saturday, March 10. John Wildi Masconic Temple, 721 9th St., Highland. $100 per team with maximum of eight people per team. Trivia contest, 50/50 drawing, silent auction and table decorating contest. All profits will be used toward royalties for Hard Road Theatre Production's 2018-2019 season. Reservations: firstname.lastname@example.org or 618-780-4444.
- Workshop series for small farms — March 4 and 11. Monroe County Annex, 901 Illinois Ave., Waterloo. Farmer-proven tips and tools, updates on legal, finance and regulatory issues, and time to consult with experts and veteran farmers. Learn more and register: www.fwsoil.org/farmtuneup2018.html.
- O'Fallon Panther Band Boosters: "Think Green" Trivia Night — 6 p.m. doors open, 6:30 p.m. trivia. Friday, March 16. O'Fallon Township Highschool, 600 S. Smiley St., O'Fallon. $10 per person. 8 rounds of trivia, heads or tails, 50/50 drawings and prizes for best table decorations. Reservations: 618-660-0602 or email@example.com.
- Damiansville PTO: Trivia Night — Doors open 6 p.m., trivia 7 p.m. Friday, March 23. Damiansville Gym, 101 E. Main St., Damiansville. $100 per team of 8 to 10 people. Proceeds go to updating technology in classrooms. Reservations: Nicole Vetter, 618-560-9504 or Meridith Hunter, 618-978-2906.
- Friends of the Old Millstadt Water Tower: Trivia Night and Silent Auction — Doors open 6:30 p.m., trivia 7 p.m. Saturday, March 10. St. James Parish Center, Millstadt. $120 per table, 6 to 8 players, includes survivor round and mulligans. Cash prizes to top 3 teams. Reservations: Betty, 618-476-7326.
- "The Whitesides: Benjamin and Lucy's Neighbors" — 1 p.m. Saturday. March 10. The Benjamin Stephenson House, 409 S. Bechanan St., Edwardsville. Ben Ostermeier, Madison historical tech developer, will give a lecture about the neighbors of Benjamin Stephenson. For his senior project at SIUE, Ostermeier created a website about the Whitesides. Tickets: www.stephensonhouse.org or 618-692-1818.
- Build Benld: Coliseum Revisited Dance — 6 p.m. Saturday, March 10. Gillespie Civic Center, 115 N. Macoupin St., Gillespie. Featuring "The Jorrells." Admission by advance ticket only. $20 per person. Tickets can be purchased at the Benld Library, First National Bank of Benld, Benld City Hall, Hick Appliance Store of Gillespie or call Build Benld at 217-835-2330.
- Troy Knights of Columbus: Annual Trivia Night — Doors open 6 p.m., trivia 7 p.m. Saturday. St. John Neumann Elementary School, 142 Wilma Drive, Maryville. Cash prizes to top 3 finishers. 8 players per table, cost per table $120. Silent auction, 50/50, mulligans and bonus games. Reservations: Norm Broska, 618-667-2115, firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Scotch Doubles Bowling Benefit — 8:30 p.m. sign up, 9 p.m. bowl. Camelot Bowl, 801 Belt Line, Collinsville. Benefit for the "Diamond Cats" Ladies Softball Team to cover team expenses. $30 per couple, 3 games.
- Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Thursday. Collinsville Senior Center, 420 E. Main St., Collinsville. To participate, must have played bridge before. 618-310-1289.
- Bridge — 11:45 a.m. Tuesday. Senior Center, 10025 Bunkum Road, Fairview Heights. Sponsored by Caseyville Township. 618-310-1289.
- Cribbage Club — 6:30 p.m. Thursday. 1 Columbus Plaza, KC Club, Collinsville. Nine games played against nine different opponents. Yvonne Bright 618-344-1521 or John Bilski 618-398-1029.
- Euchre Tournament — 7 p.m. Friday. Partner night. Smithton Senior Center, 711 S. Main, Smithton. 618-233-3370.
- Broadway Pops at the Movies Dinner Theater — Doors open 6 p.m., music at 7 p.m. Saturday. Bellecourt Manor, 225 East A St., Belleville. The Masterworks Chorale, children's choruses and jazz ensemble will sing movie tunes in a dinner theater setting. Steve Jankowski of WSIE will emcee. Tickets cost $50. Reservations required: 618-304-9094. Information: www.singmasterworks.org.
- Greenville University Choir — 7 p.m. Sunday. Faith Lutheran Church, 520 E. U.S. Highway 50, O'Fallon. Concert is free and open to the public. A free will offering will be collected.
- "Southern Gospel 4 U concert series": Bluegrass gospel — 7 p.m. Saturday. 800 E. Bethalto Drive, Bethalto. "Bama Blu-Grace" from Alabama will be performing. Suggested donation $7. 618-616-2815 or www.southerngospel4u.org.
- "Butch Wax and the Hollywoods" dance — 7:30 to 11 p.m. Saturday. Columbia Turner Hall, 211 E. Cherry St., Columbia. Sounds of the '60s, '60s and '70s rock 'n' roll. Tickets: 618-281-4479. Sponsored by the Columbia Jaycees and Turners.
Worth the Drive
- "Start-up Southwest Illinois" — 4:30 to 6 p.m. Tuesday. 1000 Eleven South, Columbia. Monroe County Economic Development Corporation hosts the second session in its program series of workshops and mentoring sessions for entrepreneurs. No cost to attend. Information or reservations: email@example.com.
- 4th Annual Bags and Beers CHS Cornhole Tournament — Noon to 4 p.m. Saturday. Argosy Casino Alton, 1 Piasa St., Alton. Benefiting local food pantries, hosted by CHS Shipman Cooperative. $20 per player. No registration required. Must be 21 and older. Event also features 50/50 and raffles.
- Bald Eagle Days at Pere Marquette State Park — 8:30 a.m. Thursday, March 1. Pere Marquette State Park, 13112 Visitor Center Lane, Grafton. Reservations are required. A site interpreter will present a program about bald eagles. After the presentation and short video, there will be an observational drive to view the wintering bald eagles. Reservations and information: 618-786-3323.
- Benefit Access Program Assistance — 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesday, March 7. Main Street Community Center, 1003 N. Main St., Edwardsville. A representative from the Edwardsville Township Office will be at the community center to assist with the License Plate Discount program. No appointment required. Walk-ins welcome. 618-656-0300.
- Holy Family Kindergarden, New Student Registration — 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday, March 7. 1900 St. Clair Ave., Granite City. Holy Family School offers classes for students in kindergarten through eighth grade. 618-877-5500.
- Eggs and Issues: Chamber of Commerce series — 7:30 to 9 a.m. Wednesday, March 7. The Chamber of Commerce Southwestern Madison County, 3600 Nameoki Road, Granite City. "Business and Personal Provisions: Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017" by Tom Harrington. Learn how the new tax laws will affect you and your business. $10 chamber members. $15 non-members. Reservations: 618-876-6400.