A fire heavily damaged the inside of a home on Meta Drive in Swansea early Thursday morning.
Swansea Fire Department, with help from Northwest St. Clair County Fire Protection District, went to the house fire at around 5:30 a.m. Dispatchers said smoke was showing at the residence when the call came in.
Swansea Fire Chief John McGuire said no one was injured.
“Upon arrival, there was heavy smoke coming from the building. It was unknown at the time if it was occupied, which it was not occupied. The residents showed up a short time afterward,” McGuire said.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
McGuire said the fire started on accident after one of the residents had dumped an ash tray in the trash. The fire appeared to have started in the corner of a large family room located in the back of the home.