A fire at a single-family residence lit up the Collinsville sky on Wednesday night. No one was injured in what fire officials deemed was an accidental fire at 300 Buck Road.
More than three dozen firefighters from a half dozen agencies were called in to fight the blaze. The residence was situated on a narrow road at the top of a hill on Collinsville’s south side. The terrain and narrow road where the residence was located made the fire fight more difficult, said Capt. Tim Rainey with the Collinsville Fire Department.
“We had difficulty getting all of the vehicles up there,” Rainey said. “Most of the vehicles are down here on the main road. We couldn’t get as many vehicles up there as we needed, but we were able to get all of the people, but it took a little while to walk up there.”
Rainey said an emergency call was received by his department just before 9 p.m. When firefighters arrived the basement was fully engulfed he said. Firefighters initially took an offensive approach to battling the blaze before pulling firefighters out of the structure and going on the defensive.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
“There was substantial damage to the house,” Rainey said. “It is probably going to be a total loss. It has substantial fire and smoke damage.”
Rainey said all four people at the house were able to get out safely. He said one person had minor smoke inhalation, but the person was treated at the scene.
The fire brought out many onlookers. Because of where the house was situated, no one was able to get close to the structure. Firefighters had to walk approximately a half a mile uphill to get to the fire scene.