A man is without shelter after a fire severely damaged his Washington Park home midday Sunday.
Washington Park firefighters were first summoned to the home in the 1200 block of North 46th Street at 11:37 a.m. According to Assistant Fire Chief Scott Rose, firefighters arrived to see heavy fire and smoke in the rear part of the home.
Rose said the single occupant of the home was able to get out without injury.
State Park firefighters also responded with extra manpower to assist the Washington Park crews.
Sign Up and Save
Get six months of free digital access to Belleville News-Democrat
The stubborn fire at times belched up black, brown and gray smoke that was visible for miles. Because the house had multiple additions to it, the fire continued to smolder between roof layers long after the initial blaze was extinguished.
Rose said the home was no longer habitable. He said firefighters had not yet determined the cause of the fire.