Metro-East News

19 players poisoned by carbon monoxide at Lindenwood hockey game

News-Democrat

Cases of carbon monoxide poisoning rise when temperatures drop

The invisible, odorless gas claims about 500 lives each year. Symptoms may include headache, dizziness, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. If you or someone you're with develops signs or symptoms, leave the area and get fresh air immediately. Thi
Up Next
The invisible, odorless gas claims about 500 lives each year. Symptoms may include headache, dizziness, vomiting, chest pain and confusion. If you or someone you're with develops signs or symptoms, leave the area and get fresh air immediately. Thi

Players at a Friday evening hockey game at Lindenwood University’s ice arena in Wentzville, Mo., were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, television news station KMOV reports.

The game was between the University of Wisconsin and Lindenwood University, and 19 players were treated for symptoms associated with the poisonous gas, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Lindenwood has campuses in Belleville and St. Charles, with the ice arena in Wentzville. Officials canceled two games scheduled for Saturday.

The source of carbon monoxide might have been the heating and cooling system. High levels of carbon monoxide can cause disorientation, nausea and headache, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.

  Comments