Players at a Friday evening hockey game at Lindenwood University’s ice arena in Wentzville, Mo., were treated for carbon monoxide poisoning, television news station KMOV reports.
The game was between the University of Wisconsin and Lindenwood University, and 19 players were treated for symptoms associated with the poisonous gas, according to the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. Lindenwood has campuses in Belleville and St. Charles, with the ice arena in Wentzville. Officials canceled two games scheduled for Saturday.
The source of carbon monoxide might have been the heating and cooling system. High levels of carbon monoxide can cause disorientation, nausea and headache, according to the Occupational Safety and Health Administration.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.