Swansea and Northwest Fire Departments located a gas leak on the roof of Rural King on Illinois 159 in Swansea.
Firefighters responded to the store after receiving reports of a strong odor in the area. An odor was also reported Saturday night at the Schnuck’s next door. Ameren Illinois crews responded Saturday night to Schnuck’s, according to spokesperson Marcelyn Love. Though crews couldn’t find the source of the gas, they returned Sunday morning to conduct another inspection.
Swansea Captain Brian McGuire said firefighters located the leak shortly after they began inspecting the rooftop around 7:30 a.m. Sunday. The source was a broken gas line that feeds into lines at Rural King, McGuire said.
There was no immediate danger to individuals in the area, the captain added. After Ameren Illinois crews shut off the gas main to the building, a certified repairman should be able to fix the leak, McGuire said. Ameren will turn the gas back on after the leak is fixed.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
The store opened for regular hours at 10 a.m.