Metro-East News

Granite City cop arrested and put on leave; charged with leaking info

Granite City Police Officer Eugene Wilkinson II.
Granite City Police Officer Eugene Wilkinson II.

A Granite City police officer has been arrested on charges that he leaked information.

Officer Eugene J. Wilkinson II has been charged with felony official misconduct for allegedly “disseminating information to an individual not legally authorized to have access to such data,” according to Police Chief Rich Miller.

The FBI conducted the investigation with cooperation by the Granite City Police Department.

Miller said a Madison County grand jury issued an indictment charging Wilkinson. Wilkinson will be on leave pending a termination hearing before the Board of Granite City Police and Fire Commissioners.

A news release from Miller didn’t specify what type of information Wilkinson is accused of distributing. The news release referred to a statute that involves a statewide computerized police records and data system.

The indictment is sealed because investigators were tying up a few loose ends, Miller said. It was expected to be unsealed by the end of the week.

Wilkinson’s annual salary is about $70,000, Miller said.

Wilkinson joined the Granite City Police Department in 2006. He previously worked at the Pontoon Beach Police Department. He worked as a dispatcher for the Granite City Police Department before he worked at Pontoon Beach Police Department.

A special prosecutor will be appointed to handle the case because Madison County State’s Attorney Tom Gibbons is married to a Granite City police officer.

The arrest marks the second time in less than a year that a Granite City officer has been accused of breaking the law.

In February, former Lt. Thomas Paul was charged with giving false information to a police officer when he reported the theft of his squad car. The charges allege Paul tried to prevent the apprehension of LaMonica Henderson.

Paul told police that he was driving his 2014 Ford Fusion squad car on North Street near Illinois 3 when he got out of his car to check on a man slumped over the steering wheel of a minivan. Paul told police that he heard his car moving behind the van.

Granite City Police Chief Rich Miller said there was a woman inside the unmarked squad car when it was stolen.

St. Louis County Police recovered the car in the area of Wallington Court and Ridgehaven Lane on Dec. 29, 2015 — the day after it was reported stolen

Paul retired during the investigation.

Paul is scheduled to go to trial Feb. 7.