Waiting for water to recede in Granite City
There’s been no rain since Thursday, but receiving nine inches of rain over nine days kept some metro-east roadways closed Saturday.
U.S. Route 50 from O’Fallon-Reider Road to Belleville Street near Lebanon remained closed Saturday afternoon due to high water on Silver Creek.
Lebanon police said in a Facebook post Saturday evening that U.S. 50 will remain closed until at least Monday — the earliest IDOT engineers will be able to inspect the road, as overtime pay for inspections was denied.
The road must be inspected by IDOT before it can be reopened.
In the post, police also reminded people that going around road barricades is against the law.
Randolph County had several roads closed, including:
▪ Illinois 3 in Cester at Water Street is closed to the Jackson County line.
▪ Illinois155 Prairie Du Rocher-Laurent Road to Fish Lake Road closed due flooding. Levee gates closed.
▪ Kaskaskia Street Chester-Cottage Road to Water Street closed due to flooding.
▪ IL 3 Ellis Grove-Roots Road to South Prairie Road. (Randolph County)
Madison County road closures included:
▪ Illinois 100 in Alton-US 67 to Illinois 3 closed due to flooding.
The National Weather Service’s forecast for Saturday was mostly cloudy with a high of 58 degrees. They also predicted a dry weekend with no chance of rain until Monday.