The Walgreens at Illinois 159 and U.S. 50 was evacuated Thursday afternoon because of a gas main break, according to the St. Clair County Emergency Management Agency.
The nearby Boston Market restaurant was also evacuated, and the shopping area was blocked off to traffic. Ameren Illinois turned off power to both businesses.
Fairview Heights Fire Chief Bryan Doyle said a company installing fiber cables in Walgreens struck the gas main, causing the leak.
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
A strong smell of natural gas blanketed the area.
By approximately 3 p.m., Walgreens and Boston Market were both re-opened.
Brian Bretsch, spokesman for Ameren Illinois, gave credit to the safety officials on scene for how they handled the situation.
“Kudos to the Fairview Heights fire department because safety is our number one concern and they did everything right,” Bretsch said.