Wine-making equipment and some livestock were lost Wednesday night after a fire severely damaged a shed at the Schorr Lake Vineyard in Waterloo.
According to Waterloo Fire Protection District Chief Brett Wiegand, a passerby called 911 around 10:30 p.m. after seeing smoke coming from the metal building in the 1000 block of South Library Street.
Wiegand said the shed was engulfed when firefighters arrived.
“The best we can tell, it may have been an incubator light for chickens (that malfunctioned, starting the fire),” he said. “Some animals were lost.”
Digital Access For Only $0.99
For the most comprehensive local coverage, subscribe today.
Wiegand said 23 firefighters, all from Waterloo, fought the fire. No mutual aid assistance from other area departments was needed.
The vineyard’s owner, who also lives on the property, was able to get some equipment out of the building. He could not be reached for comment Thursday afternoon.